What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix quality

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never had any problems with Netflix on either my iPad 2 or my iPad 3. The quality appears to be very good, to say the least.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Never had any problems with Netflix on either my iPad 2 or my iPad 3. The quality appears to be very good, to say the least.

That's been my experience as well. I understand though that everyone is different and connections, routers, all that stuff can play a role. I hope you get it sorted out.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish we knew exactly where the settings are in the iPad or Netflix app to set it for hi quality or low. It sounds like the OP's settings are wrong. Netflix looks great to me on iPad. But I have nothing to compare to. YouTube lets to set the streaming quality. Is there a setting like that in Netflix App?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IME, netflix sets the quality itself based on the speed of the connection. If the title is in HD and the connection is fast, then netflix improves the quality of the stream to the best possible. If the title is not in HD and if the connection is poor, then it can accommondate that too. Netflix is about making the experience seemless to the user. Youtube will let you set the scream quality, but if the connection can't support it then youtube will simply let you suffer with stops and starts and an otherwise crappy experience.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree that it's the connection, not Netflix, that's the problem.

I've streamed Netflix for two years on iPad in cities across the U.S., and viewing quality has been great as long as my connection is good. I've had the same experience on two iPad 1s, an iPad 2 and my husband's iPad 1. I've never had to mess with any settings.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a fallousy to compare Netflix quality from different devices because they may not be both pulling from the same netflix server. I am not sure about the iPad nf app but most now use adaptive streaming. Unfortunately in their infinite wisdom they start at the poorest quality and can take up to 30 seconds to ramp up. If that doesn't help try optimizing your connection by running namebench:

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

On an available computer and see if changing your DNS server helps. That usually fixes most people who are able to get high quality on one device but not another. I use google dns now 8.8.4.4 and it is substantially better than my default ISP's DNS server. I don't remember the exact number but name bench had it rated over 300 percent faster from my location. It was even rated better than their primary 8.8.8.8.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a fallousy to compare Netflix quality from different devices because they may not be both pulling from the same netflix server. I am not sure about the iPad nf app but most now use adaptive streaming. Unfortunately in their infinite wisdom they start at the poorest quality and can take up to 30 seconds to ramp up. If that doesn't help try optimizing your connection by running namebench:

namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting

On an available computer and see if changing your DNS server helps. That usually fixes most people who are able to get high quality on one device but not another. I use google dns now 8.8.4.4 and it is substantially better than my default ISP's DNS server. I don't remember the exact number but name bench had it rated over 300 percent faster from my location. It was even rated better than their primary 8.8.8.8.

Not sure what fallacy you mean: We're all talking about a poor connection vs. a prob with the Netflix app on iPad. As for the connection, there are many variables for why there might be probs.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have probs streaming NF to two iPads at the same time, or with an iPad and TV at the same time. I sometimes have the same movie streaming on two iPads as I switch from one iPad to another because the battery is running low on one. At other times, my husband is streaming to a TV while I'm streaming to an iPad.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Not sure what fallacy you mean: We're all talking about a poor connection vs. a prob with the Netflix app on iPad. As for the connection, there are many variables for why there might be probs.

There are many devices that stream NF content. Using one to diagnose another is not diagnostically sound because they may not be streaming from the same CDN. I have helped many people overcome streaming problems and optimizing the DNS covers most of them if they have sufficient bandwidth.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many devices that stream NF content. Using one to diagnose another is not diagnostically sound because they may not be streaming from the same CDN. I have helped many people overcome streaming problems and optimizing the DNS covers most of them if they have sufficient bandwidth.

In case it helps: I read that Netflix apparently streams on three CDNs, assigning by user account, rather than device.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
In case it helps: I read that Netflix apparently streams on three CDNs, assigning by user account, rather than device.

What you read is incorrect. I participate on a number of streaming devices message boards and the first thing the engineers tell someone that is getting mixed results on quality is that different devices can pull from different streams. Optimizing the DNS usullay fixes it.

I also have experienced partial or complete outages on one device but everything was fine on another. I own 7 different streaming platforms. Boxee Box, Roku, ATV, iPad, PS3, computer, and smart TV.

Last edited:

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Netflix does look like it is always low-res for me. It's like the feed was meant for an iPhone 3GS but blown up for the iPad.

And it's NOT THE CONNECTION.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix does look like it is always low-res for me. It's like the feed was meant for an iPhone 3GS but blown up for the iPad.

And it's NOT THE CONNECTION.

Go to the Netflix settings and make sure you're allowing HD with WiFi. Also, I had a problem with my Netflix app a year or so ago and finally deleted the app completely and did a reinstall, it was perfect after that.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Netflix is terrific on all three of our Ipads--two ones and a three (esp. on it). I sometimes air play it to Apple TV if I'm lazy or I just play it on Apple TV but because of a medical condition my husband watched a lot of movies directly on the Ipad, his is a one, last week and I watched one movie on my gen 3. All were really good quality. Two years ago I had two bad times with Netflix and I reported hem, but since--they always play just fine.

Most reactions