What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need opinions on ipad trade

guardman8484

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to trade my 3rd gen. Ipad 32gb wifi only for a 4th gen. 16gb wifi+4g ipad.

I would have to give 75 dollars boot, which seems fair considering what each ipad is going for used. The 4th gen ipad is flawless, except for a scratch on the screen that is about an inch and a half long.

Does this sound like a good trade? I don't store a lot on my ipad, so losing storage isn't a big deal.

My only concern is that scratch. I always keep my stuff in mint condition, and that scratch would really big me. Do you think an invisible shield would hide the scratch? It's not real deep, but it's not really light either. You can feel it when you run your fingernail over it.

Thanks for any input.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think a screen protector would hide the scratch, I scratched my phone screen and got a Tech Armor protector for it but I can still see the scratch, I have to say though I tend to forget about it most of the time, I'm not sure on the trade part, someone else might chip in on that.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So the 4th gen has a faster processor but uses the lightning connector - accessories you have for the 3rd gen may not work (and won't without an adaptor) unless you have one of the few lightning connector iPad 3's out there.

For me it would be hard to live with a scratch someone else did, especially if it is really noticeable, but I haven't seen it and it may not bother you.

Guardman84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The accessories that I have that use the 30 pin connector are gonna go with the 3rd gen ipad if I do trade. The other accessories I have that will work for the 4th gen will stay with me.

I may go ahead and trade, and buy an invisible shield HD. The scratch isn't really deep so hopefully it will hide it.

Thanks for the input.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The accessories that I have that use the 30 pin connector are gonna go with the 3rd gen ipad if I do trade. The other accessories I have that will work for the 4th gen will stay with me.

I may go ahead and trade, and buy an invisible shield HD. The scratch isn't really deep so hopefully it will hide it.

Well, if the scratch is minimal (can you feel it?) and does not interfere w/ the touch screen or is felt by your finger, then its presence & visibility are determining factors for you - no one else can decide. However, for me the 16 GB storage on the 4th G model might be a deal breaker? Checking the Apple store for 'refurbished' models shows a comparison of pricing for these two models if that is helpful (looks like the 4th G model w/ cellular is selling there for about $60 more). Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 10.39.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 10.52.05 AM.png

Frankie Williams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not trust the scratch. My niece has a scratch on her iPad 2. If I hadn't been present, I would never have guessed that she dropped it. Unless, you really need the 4g, I'd stick to the wifi 32g. My 11yo is still using his 3rd gen with no problems (overusage, to be exact).

Most reactions