What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a low cost or free app for data collection.

gerrys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work for a non-profit health-related organization and as a result, am looking for a low cost or free app to do data collection.

We work with people who have disabilities, and train them to get jobs. As a result, we teach them various jobs and activities, and collect information on how they are doing, for example, how many items they can pack in a box for a specific amount of time.

Currently, we manually collect this information on paper forms, then enter that information into an Excel spreadsheet. This is very time consuming and labor intensive. We would like to automate the collection process by using donated ipads, and then transferring that information to the spreadsheet over wi-fi.

Here are my requirement...
1. We cannot afford to pay a large up front amount, and we do not want to have a recurring subscription cost.
2. We want to be able to design/install a custom form on the ipad, collect data, then transfer the data, over wi-fi, to an Excel spreadsheet on a PC.
3. The form would need to handle text fields, numeric fields, start and stop times.
4. We do not want to use any hosted service, or cloud based service.
5. We do not want to use the internet at all for any portion of this process. We just want to communicate between the iPads and a PC.

I have researched various products, but they either require a monthly/annual subscription, a large up-front purchase, or a hosted/cloud-based service.

Can anyone tell me if there are any apps available that would allow us to do what we are trying to do?

ascipi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an autistic support teacher at a middle/high school. I am looking for an app to collect data on goals for social skills, as well as academics. Any suggestions?

mytimefindurs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app CloudOn sounds like it would fit your requirements. It's free. And you can use MS Excel right from the app. And the files can be sent via email or sync to Dropbox and others options which are also free.

Oliver.Harris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IAuditor is written for health and safety form completion, but if you design your own template it is neat to gather data. It exports a csv

Phil Evans

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oliver.Harris said:
IAuditor is written for health and safety form completion, but if you design your own template it is neat to gather data. It exports a csv

I'll try the various suggestions and see which looks best for me. Many thanks for the help.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Oliver.Harris said:

I just downloaded IAuditor and started playing around with it, it is a really nice and nifty app!
Own "Audit/ Checklist Forms" can be created (iPad App at least), there are loads of existing templates available.

image-2757111959.jpg

For the CSV- and Word-export feature however you need to upgrade to the paid version. PDF-Export works perfect with the free version of the App.
As most of my colleagues do have an iPhone I am seriously considering to use this App professionally, especially as it does not require you to subscribe to an annual service, as most of these kind do...

Thumbs up!!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Most reactions

Latest posts