What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my ipad screen is black & white, lost the color

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravennj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was trying to download a TV show that I purchased directly to the iPad 2 without using my computer. The download for the TV series was almost finished when the screen seems to hang, nothing was progressing and buttons or tapping did nothing. Things started working again and as I was playing with some Apps, I decided to delete one but when I hit the icon to make it wiggle, everything on the screen wiggled and wouldn't stop wiggling or let me delete that App. Again the screen was frozen or hung. A few minutes passed and all of a sudden the App prompted me to confirm if I wanted to delete it. Only when that pop-up prompted me I noticed all the color was gone on the screen and everything was black & white with some hints of orange here and there. Icons that used to be Red were now a see-thru blue. Its as if I lost the Red Hue. The iPad was 3 months old last week. Any suggestions? I rebooted it, nothing changed, I download 5.1, nothing changed, tried reset with home button and power button at the same time but nothing changed so I still have this black & white screen.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You may have turned on the White on Black Accessibility option. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility to turn it off.

You may also want to restart your iPad if you have not done so recently. It's a good idea to do this every once in a while. I'll add some other general fixit steps below, in case you are not aware of them. They would have 'possibly' helped with the original problem you described.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
try reset if u have genuinely a black and white color...bcoz there is an option to change the color in settings if u havent done that!

sledgenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had this happen to my iPad Air running iOS 13.6 and discovered (by digging) that under Settings/Acessibilty/Zoom/Zoom filter, it had been set to Gray Scale.
Changed this to None and the colour returned, Phew!

You may have turned on the White on Black Accessibility option. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility to turn it off.

You may also want to restart your iPad if you have not done so recently. It's a good idea to do this every once in a while. I'll add some other general fixit steps below, in case you are not aware of them. They would have 'possibly' helped with the original problem you described.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Had this happen to my iPad Air running iOS 13.6 and discovered (by digging) that under Settings/Acessibilty/Zoom/Zoom filter, it had been set to Gray Scale.
Changed this to None and the colour returned, Phew!

Hello Sledgenz - first, welcome to the forum! :) Second, you may have tied or beat the record of replying to really OLD threads - this one from 2011 when I bought my first iPad - now on my third. A mod will likely come along and close this discussion - but next time look at the dates rather than resurrecting 'dead' threads - just my 2 cents. Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is 9 years old and deals with problems in iOS 5. The participants have not been back since December 2011. This thread is now closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts