What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 Case Round Up: which cases have smart magnetic covers?

What's on your iPad 2?

• My iPad 2 is naked!

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Apple Smart Cover

Votes: 84 63.2%
  • 3rd Party "Dumb Cover"

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 3rd Party Smart Cover.

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Homemade cover.

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all I need some advice on which iPad case/bag to buy...

Basically I travel a lot and need to take along with it my earphones, wall charger and car charger and would prefer they fit in it so I guess I'm looking for a bag really...

LolaAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No worries, I just added the info to make it easy for everyone. 

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the Targus VuScape cover and I like it. It covers the back and kindof latches over the front. Not magnetic but I like that the cover doesn't just swing open freely. The latch mechanism itself leaves a bit to be desired, it doesn't always stay shut but it is one of the best cases on the market at the moment, and reasonable at $40 from BestBuy.

I have the same cover and love it. I have zero issues with the latch mechanism. There must be a manufacturing variation ... one other post mentioned the latch didn't hold very well, also. Mine works perfectly every time.

The cover doesn't incorporate the magnetic on/off. A DYI can fix that.
It does add a bit of thickness, but the padded cover makes it very comfortable to hold. Weight is a bit more, but that is the way with most cases. You always have the option of removing it from the case (which is EZ). I like the way the stand action works. Three angles in landscape mode. It will stand by itself in Portrait orientation but only in absolute vertical. That is the same with the Smart Cover, also.

From a scratch or bump point of view ... it is a full wrap around including corner protection. That I like a lot. I have not bothered with film over the display. I think (for us) it is a waste of money. Gorilla glass is really tough.

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I need some advice on which iPad case/bag to buy...

Basically I travel a lot and need to take along with it my earphones, wall charger and car charger and would prefer they fit in it so I guess I'm looking for a bag really...

iRager,

This looks like a pretty good one for just your iPad 2 and it fits in it with the Smart Cover on too!

iPad Extreme Sleeve

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4uUhWtYDPk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - G-Form bowling ball drop on its RPT iPad case with Poron XRD[/ame]

Redzapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The STM Skinny. Doesn't add bulk and has the sleep/wake magnet.

It has 2 standing options and is perfect for how use the iPad.

PvtMatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered a Bear Motion leather case with magnetic cover that is advertised to wake the iPad2. It is $34.99 from Amazon. I have a Bear Motion for my iPad first gen and I love it. Only comes it black though, no fancy colors!

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered SwitchEasy Canvas in Brown and it does have the smart sleep/wake feature:
c.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iokMJudDraI]YouTube - SwitchEasy Canvas iPad 2 Case[/ame]

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered SwitchEasy Canvas in Brown and it does have the smart sleep/wake feature:
c.jpg

YouTube - SwitchEasy Canvas iPad 2 Case

That looks really nice. I still have an order with the Joy Factory for the Folio360 II, but this SwitchEasy case is really tempting. I like that it's thinner. Here's a link to the Folio360 II that I have on order. It's not due 'til the end of April.

Folio360 II For iPad 2 - iPad 2 Accessories - Pages

I like the Folio360 II because of it's ability to sit horitzonal or vertical with ease. It also seperates from the folio with the plastic back still attached for protection! I thought this would be handy to use without the folio for playing games, while still maintaining protection of the iPad II. The Folio360 II also has the magnetic sleep feature.

The main drawback I see to the Folio360 II is the bulk of the unit. It definitely doesn't win any awards for being sveldt... however it does seem to meet most of my needs partnered with the iPad II.

I keep waffling back and forth. I keep looking for something better than I currently have on order. I guess that's part of the fun!:D

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep waffling back and forth. I keep looking for something better than I currently have on order. I guess that's part of the fun!:D

Ha ha I've spent wayyyy too much time on researching cases.

I finally gave in and got the SwitchEasy Canvas in Brown. Though it may not be the sleekest one out there, it provides a fair amount of protection with not too much bulk. I got it mainly for it's build in stand feature. Also, I like the fact that although it has the smart sleep/wake feature, there's little chance it can wake in my backpack due to the latch that keeps the cover closed. SwitchEasy just seems to make quality products based on all the video reviews I've seen on youtube. They also come with a free screen protector and port covers.

Cases I looked at and why I didn't get them:

Mareware CEO Hybrid: very nice but about the same thickness as Canvas and less protection. Also no hands on video reviews. Based on video review for the iPad 1 version, it seems to be a solid case. I don't like the handstrap though.

Targus Vuscape: basically a cheap version of Mareware CEO.. didn't like how the bottom two clips don't seem to fit snug.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0MDV7EPDXs"]video review[/ame]

AYL 5 in 1: similar to Targus but can't stand the fact that they insist on saying its made of carbon fiber when it clearly isn't.

Incase Magazine Jacket: looks cool in pictures but saw the cover was just too flimsy.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyGen-FXMlg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]video[/ame]

SwitchEasy Cara: very very sleek/thin yet protective unlike Incase magazine. However, I don't want to have to worry about carrying those stand things. It's also wouldn't fit well in professional environments. I came very close to getting it just for its sleekness though.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSqV9lCJEA"]see video[/ame]

Last edited:

Mkoenig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Aviiq product looks very nice. Any idea how thick it is? They mention layers. Are they thicker than the back covers made by Marware and Xgear. I am very interested in adding the least bulk possible. I want it to still be able to fit into my Waterfield sleeve/case.

eyeojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lionelman said:
I have two bags.

This one I use when I'm going on a trip. It holds all my stuff (I don't have the wireless keyboard) and works out great.

iPad Travel Express - SFBags - WaterField Designs - iPad 2

I also bought this one from ShopKo. I don't know if you have those stores in your area but Here is their website. I use this around the house and town.

Merkury Innovations

I really like this case and it's not all that expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts