What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie storage settings ipad2

bs1gaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to download some movies from itunes, and it would not allow and said I needed storage. I added some so my ipad says I now have 14.9 GB of 15 GB available. When I attempted to download again I get the message" There is not enough available local storage to download (movie). You can manage your local device storage usage in settings". How?? When I go to storage and backup to try to manage, it says" iCloud storage details are currently unavailable. Try again later." Later, I get the same message. The Back Up Now button is highlighted. Do I need to do that first, and if I do, doesn't it just send to icloud what my ipad has already backed up? Thanks in advance from this newbie. Did I mention that I'll need step-by-step idiot-proof directions if you answer?:)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You cannot add storage to an iPad. If you are out of storage, you must remove something. To check your storage, open Settings. The click on General, then click on Usage. You should see the amount of storage available to use for movies (or anything) at the upper part of the screen under the word Storage.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You'll either have to:

1.Remove something
2.Use a cloud drive or a wifi based external HD
3.Upgrade to a higher HD capacity

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP: there are two devices you can buy to store movies/music on (actually 3, but I only have experience with two of them). The air stash is a little device about the size of a USB memory stick. You can put an SD card in one end with your movies on it. Then you turn it on, connected your iPad to it bias wifi, and your movies/music/photos play. It will last about 7 hours on a charge and 3 devices or more can use it at the same time. The second is the go flex satellite. This is a 500 GB hard drive. You connect your iPad to it via wifi and it plays movies/music etc too. Obviously, both cost extra $$. Some think the go flex is the better deal.

Hth.

NickyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or, you can do the smart thing and buy yourself a cheap camera connection kit !( $10 ebay) You just put your movies onto an microsd or sd card, and then .. just copy one of the movies you would like to play to your ipad. I believe you can even stream the movies from the sd via iFile but i'm not sure right now. Either way, if your movies aren't mp4 you kinda need to transform them to mp4 ( handbrake is a nice and easy to use app that does that)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or, you can do the smart thing and buy yourself a cheap camera connection kit !( $10 ebay) You just put your movies onto an microsd or sd card, and then .. just copy one of the movies you would like to play to your ipad. I believe you can even stream the movies from the sd via iFile but i'm not sure right now. Either way, if your movies aren't mp4 you kinda need to transform them to mp4 ( handbrake is a nice and easy to use app that does that)

This won't solve the problem if the OP is out of space. Something still needs to be removed so the files can be copied over and they do need to be copied over.

Most reactions