What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Move-at-your-own-pace puzzle games

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
I'm looking for myst-like games for my iPad2 with really good graphics (not cartoony). The "find hidden objects" aspect of most of them gets boring really fast. I prefer to solve puzzles to progress through the story. And I don't enjoy racing a clock.

Years ago, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I played 7th Guest, Myst (and all it's sequels), Obsidian and others of that ilk when they first came out for the PC. Then I got a life and the games went away for quite a while. Now I've got an iPad2 and some free time when I travel and I'd like to get back into that type of gaming experience.

Two questions... Does anyone have any recommendations for these types of games? And.. is there a common name for this type of game that might make my google searches a bit more productive?

Thanks!

Pam

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually Myst and it's sequel Riven exists for the iPad. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but it has good ratings.

ipadgamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gamesontheipad.com
Two questions... Does anyone have any recommendations for these types of games? And.. is there a common name for this type of game that might make my google searches a bit more productive?

Thanks!

Pam

Not sure if there is a common name for that genre. Could be any of the puzzle / simulation / strategy / role playing

I would think you'd find most of them in the puzzle category tho.

In any case take a look at this site, it has the games sorted by genre so it is easier to search: ipad Games

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Drawn, the Painted Tower. More like Myst than a hidden object game. I bought it a few days ago and it's been very enjoyable so far.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not quite what you want but look at Labyrinth by Reiner Knizia.
Tough, but well worth the modest fee.

VampiressRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
vampswillowhouse.willowhouse.com
Glad you asked this question. I am not a gamer and only play solitaire on my pc but I do that every day. I have been sick for 3 weeks with the flu and asked my friends for a suggestion of a hidden objects game for my pc. Ended up getting one by Big Fish Games and really enjoyed it. Thinking I wanted something for my iPad just downloaded Drawn & Buckingham Palace by Big Fish...will come back later and give feedback on both of those. THANX

kgdblu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for myst-like games for my iPad2 with really good graphics (not cartoony). The "find hidden objects" aspect of most of them gets boring really fast. I prefer to solve puzzles to progress through the story. And I don't enjoy racing a clock.

Years ago, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I played 7th Guest, Myst (and all it's sequels), Obsidian and others of that ilk when they first came out for the PC. Then I got a life and the games went away for quite a while. Now I've got an iPad2 and some free time when I travel and I'd like to get back into that type of gaming experience.

Thanks!

Pam
I like these kind of games too. Unfortunately, games these days tend to be either shooters or racing. I wish game developers would realize that not all gamers are not boys between the ages of 12 and 30. Our money is just as good.
Pam, the Shockwave site has some of these type of games...I've been a member for years. They tend to be hidden object games, but there are also puzzles to solve, goals to reach, etc. You can buy them individually, or pay for a year-long membership and download and play as many games of all types as you want. new games come out every Tuesday afternoon. Oh, and this is for your PC, not Ipad, sorry.
I too have looked in vain for Myst type games and have found exactly 2 that I was willing to pay for on the Ipad.. They are Broken Sword and Stroke of Midnight. Again, hidden object, but also puzzle to figure out...they're really not bad. Give them a try..
Enjoy

Last edited:
OP
P

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded Drawn: The Painted Tower, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Nothing on the order of myst, but it would seem that's a bygone age. Game releases used to be a big deal. Companies spent a lot more time and effort because there weren't as many. Now new games release daily and there is so much competition they have to get them out as fast as possible just to stay afloat. Some how I doubt we'll ever see anything as complex and engrossing in that genre again. As some else mentioned, any real money is being spent on shooters for teenagers these days.

Pam

OP
P

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
Oh, and add to that the fact that we expect to pay just a couple dollars at most for our games now.... I remember spending $40 or more for some of those original Myst games. I don't think there are enough people like me, who are willing to pay that kind of money to support developing games of that complexity in that genre. :-(

Pam

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My three favorites:

1) Escape Rosecliff Island

2) Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials

3) Drawn, the Painted Tower

Most reactions