What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mother in law

oilhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
90 yr old mom stuck in house.
have a iPad 4,not using.is there step by step instructions on how to put the pad in her name so that she can face time to another human.i already reset it. tried taking wives name off but am running into issues.
tia
oilhead

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You’ll have to sign out of iCloud and erase the device to remove your wife’s information completely.

Go to the Settings app, select her name at the top, scroll down and sign out. You’ll have to enter the password, then select “Turn off”.
That done, go to Settings - General - Reset, and select “Erase all Content and Settings”. This will set back the iDevice to default, without any of her information on it.

When it turns on again, select your language and connect it to Wi-Fi. Either create a passcode for her, or skip that step.
If she already has an Apple ID, use it for this iPad.
Otherwise this will help setting up an ID for her:
How to create a new Apple ID

As soon as you’ve signed in with that Apple ID on the iPad, she can be reached via FaceTime by using that ID.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
90 yr old mom stuck in house.
have a iPad 4,not using.is there step by step instructions on how to put the pad in her name so that she can face time to another human.i already reset it. tried taking wives name off but am running into issues.
tia
oilhead

Hi oilhead - welcome to the forum! :) Now, I'm assuming that you want to give her the old iPad w/ her ownership? If so, then Apple's Directions (LINK) are shown below (or check the link given, if needed). Make sure that you have signed-out of iCloud and the other sites mentioned and look at the 'small' sentence at the bottom. Now, your 'Mom' will need an Apple account/ID, and I assume that she has Wi-Fi in her home? And remember that FaceTime is used with Apple devices only; if her friends/family have non-Apple hardware, then an alternative way would be needed, such as Skype (more options HERE) - good luck. Dave

ADDENDUM: Looks like I was too slow at the keyboard! :D
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.31.59 PM.png

OP
O

oilhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
boombski
worked like a charm
91 yr old lady thanks u
she can now see the faces of her barrens.

Last edited:
OP
O

oilhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
issue I am having now, trying to load Skype on pad.
but have to fill in credit card info for iTunes.
she has no CC.tyed putting mine/ours in but to no avail.
are there apps out there pad will accept without all this CC
stuff.?
tia
also thank you for your responses

OP
O

oilhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe getting her an iTunes gift card will help.
Here’s how to redeem it:
Redeem App Store & iTunes Gift Cards and content codes

Also, if there’s already a payment method set up for her Apple ID, remove it:
Go to Settings - her name - Payment & Shipping, select the payment method and remove it.

yes wife and I thought of that as a last resort.
also removed all info when reseting.
thank you all for your help
oilhead

Most reactions