What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MobileMe inactive?

ipuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i set up MobileMe and received a verifiy email and all that, but on my latest 4.2 software ipad (wifi model) under settings it shows inactive.

On the mobileMe website it shows "no devices setup"

I am online on the network at home. Does this only work on 3G ipads?

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No idea what's wrong with yours, on my iPad WIFI it works perfectly.

Make sure the MobileMe account the Find My iPad is on.

That can be found in settings mail contacts and calenders.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread here because I wanted to ask a question about Mobil Me.

It seems to me that many people use Mobil Me and I would like to know how it helps them. It's 99.00 a year and what do you get for your money?

For example, when I first set my iPad using iTunes all my Safari bookmarks were transferred to my iPad. That pretty much took care of that. I don't think I can sync my Droid to my Mac with Mobil Me. That's more or less understandable since it's not a Mac product.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what makes this product work 100.00 a year to purchase? Give me some ideas on how you use it. I think that it may be worth 100.00 to purchase one time, but per year seems steep. So tell me how it works for you.

iDaniel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been on MM for 2 years now and contemplating on whether to renew for a third. 2 years ago, MM was really the only solution for synching email, contacts, & calendars in the cloud, so at the time the $99 was justified and the Find My iPhone feature is what really sealed the deal (for me at least). As of today you can use Google to sync mail, contacts, & calendars (although it's not as seamless) and Find My IPhone is now free (for iPad & iPhone 4 users with iOS 4.2).

The other 2 features MobileMe provides you are (1) iDisk and (2) Gallery (for sharing photos and videos. iDisk is convenient if youre a Mac user, but is also painfully slow when syncing files. Gallery works quite seemlessly with iLife, but I suspect most people would rather use Facebook or one of the other social networking sites to share this type of content.

For those who are less tech savvy MobileMe might be worth the $99 because the membership does include phone and chat support whereas you'd be lucky to even get your email responded to if you needed technical help from Google.

For me personally, MobileMe has lost some of its value now that one of the key features is now available for free.

It seems to me that many people use Mobil Me and I would like to know how it helps them. It's 99.00 a year and what do you get for your money?

For example, when I first set my iPad using iTunes all my Safari bookmarks were transferred to my iPad. That pretty much took care of that. I don't think I can sync my Droid to my Mac with Mobil Me. That's more or less understandable since it's not a Mac product.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what makes this product work 100.00 a year to purchase? Give me some ideas on how you use it. I think that it may be worth 100.00 to purchase one time, but per year seems steep. So tell me how it works for you.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have used it for the last few years. My primary reason: Syncing to Outlook. It keeps Outlook updated for my Contacts and Calendar. And it does it very well on my desktop as well as laptop... and of course both my iPad and iPhone. It's nice being to enter something one place, or accept an invitation, and have it just about instantly synced to all my stuff. I also got it for Find My iPhone but that is now free I suppose.

I do not use iDisk as it seems painfully slow and I don't really need it.

All that said I would not pay $99 for it. I get it via ebay for $50... easy to find.

If Google was able to sync better with Outlook, on its own and without another third party app, I would probably drop MobileMe.

In fact before Gmail had push via Exchange I used to have all my Gmail forwarded to my MM email because it was pushed. But I never actually used my MM email account for anything else. Now that I have Gmail pushed, I don't even keep my MM email account active... just calendar, contacts, notes, and bookmarks.

Oh it also irks me that the MM client for my PC won't sync notes to Outlook. So while I can do it on the iPad or iPhone, I have to manually sync with iTunes to get Notes synced.

I think I might be able to drop MM at the end of this subscription if I come up with a better Google option for Outlook.

Michael

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
To the OP. Go to www.mobileme.com from a PC and login to the FindMyPhone. The iPad will show "inactive" if it hasnt been pinged in a while, like going to sleep. As soon as you ping it (by going to the website) it will show "FindMy iPhone" instead of "Inactive"

Most reactions

Latest posts