What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mic level trouble 64GB 3G OS 4.3.3

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just loaded a new App and the mic level part of the functionality of the App played back as quiet as anything.... I want the convenience of the onboard mic and it was fine a week ago BEFORE i updated this machine to 4.3.3. Skype is now useless, Shazam and the new App... Plus Garage Band.

A google reveals others reporting similar but only on non 3G units they say.

A reset or cold boot has done zippa nadda.

Ideas anyone..... TIA Pete:)

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An update. I since installed the newer OS Ver 4.3.4. I had crossed my fingers this would solve the problem but no. I've now loaded the app Mic Check Lite and it's showing something is certainly wrong. The sound I managed to record is very thin and weak. It's as if the auto level control (if there is such a thing) has ceased to operate. The same happens with a Skype Testcall... I don't have a headset to test an external mic with to verify if it's a hardware fault of the wee onboard mic or it's circuitry based issue.

The problem in New Zealand is that it's going to be another massive hassle to get support from Apple just like I had over my iPad 1. If it wasn't for the fact that Skype is now useless, my most used App, I wouldn't worry having a dead internal mic.

Oh well I guess I'll be making some enquiries in the morning.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section, because I think you might get some better support there.

Tim

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim. I saw iPad 2 and made the assumption that is where everything goes relating to that machine. The internal mic "fail" thing I have is with my 1 month old iPad 2 64GB WiFi 3G v4.3.4 OS. Of course now that I have discovered there is a problem I have tonight received 2 Skype calls that my callers cut short because I could hardly be heard...

Update: took my unit to an Apple Service Agent (YooBee in Auckland, NZ). Even though i was able to show the counter guy the problem the procedure is to leave the machine with them and their 'Tech' will work on it to verify the problem. It was Friday which means i am iPad-less now and feel very lost. Thank heavens i have plenty of music on my iPhone4.

I've just re-read over the fine print too of YooBee's repair contract. Gulp.... $60 Assessment Fee.... $120/hr labour repair fee... Phew glad the machine is just one month old so in Warranty....

It will be very interesting to know why the internal mic has developed the extremely low level fault especially as it all coincided with updating to Ver 4.3.3 then to 4.4.4

Last edited:
OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well call from my Apple Support People this afternoon. Please collect your replacement iPad2. The failure of the mic was confirmed so they simply issued a replacement machine. Pity I had to wait a weekend plus 2 business days as I had proven the problem to their counter guy but I am happy to have my machine back and loaded the app 8mmHD which I've been having fun with.

So, yes the mic can suddenly fail and at the moment Apple supply another new machine.

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It will be very interesting to know why the internal mic has developed theextremely low level fault especially as it all coincided with updating to Ver 4.3.3 then to 4.4.4

So, yes the mic can suddenly fail and at the moment Apple supply another new machine.

Hi MorrisTheCat, glad that you could get a new iPad. ;) What about if this happens when your warranty is over.? Brrrrr! Don't want to think. :(

I am still stuck with version 4.3.1 I find it quite stable and not quite sure about wanting to have issues. Let's say I don't quite trust the updates. Got no time for troubles.

Mac is now considering PixelWave

Most reactions

Latest posts