What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail Question

amateur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brand new iPad 2 5.1 user/learner. Two strange goings on with Mail - notifies that an email has arrived, open the app, sure enough, there is a received email and at almost the same time a message pops up, "Cannot Get Mail The account ........ in in use on another device". The iPad is sitting next to a Macbook Pro. Since I started getting this message, have tried this, close Mail on the laptop, no effect. Doesn't bother much, since emails arrive irrespective of the on screen message, but find it weird.
Second strange thing - cannot send emails at all. Pop up message is " A copy has been sent to your Outbox. No password provided. Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password" Having checked that there is a password, removed and reloaded the password anyway, no effect. If there is no password, would it be receiving emails ?
Appreciate any advice given, with thanks.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
amateur said:
Brand new iPad 2 5.1 user/learner. Two strange goings on with Mail - notifies that an email has arrived, open the app, sure enough, there is a received email and at almost the same time a message pops up, "Cannot Get Mail The account ........ in in use on another device". The iPad is sitting next to a Macbook Pro. Since I started getting this message, have tried this, close Mail on the laptop, no effect. Doesn't bother much, since emails arrive irrespective of the on screen message, but find it weird.
Second strange thing - cannot send emails at all. Pop up message is " A copy has been sent to your Outbox. No password provided. Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password" Having checked that there is a password, removed and reloaded the password anyway, no effect. If there is no password, would it be receiving emails ?
Appreciate any advice given, with thanks.

Make sure both inbound smtp and outbound smtp passwords are provided.

Tap on the outgoing mail server for the account, then tap primary sever, then enter your password. It is required for outbound functionality.

OP
A

amateur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much sir/madam ! Did the trick....... tho much to learn, tho little time ...........

OP
A

amateur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4,

The solution worked only once grrrr. When the message appears again re password, when I go back to settings, the previously added password ( which was accepted, and ticked) is again empty. The password isn't held, any clues please ?

danlaw777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try deleting the account and then readding. verify the correct seetings with your email provider step by step

OP
A

amateur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahhhh ! Danlaw, it seems that did it, thank you very much.

susancollins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4,

The solution worked only once grrrr. When the message appears again re password, when I go back to settings, the previously added password ( which was accepted, and ticked) is again empty. The password isn't held, any clues please ?

I am having same problem. It keeps showing error message to correct password. Over and over. I have entered correct password numerous times.

Most reactions