What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail on ipad2

Reaction score
Can I somehow generate an unread folder on my ipad2 registered mail accounts?

On my email exchange server I ve setup various directories and using a single unread mail folder , similarly to my Pc is something that I would definitely like to have on ipad2.

Other than that I also have some personal folders that Their content is saved on my Pc rather than the exchange server. Mails referring to those folders are not displayed from my iPad default mail client. Any tips here?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imap

Can I somehow generate an unread folder on my ipad2 registered mail accounts?

On my email exchange server I ve setup various directories and using a single unread mail folder , similarly to my Pc is something that I would definitely like to have on ipad2.

Other than that I also have some personal folders that Their content is saved on my Pc rather than the exchange server. Mails referring to those folders are not displayed from my iPad default mail client. Any tips here?

If you have created the folders on your isp's server, you need to change your email settings on your ipad from pop to imap.

Assuming you are using a wifi router, you will need to change this to. BEWARE that you also need the windows settings for imap also (available from windows help site) The imap settings are provided by your isp, so check out their website first, and email them if the settings are not there....Some isp's are reluctant to provide them!

Jeff

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More info on what you have setup currently is needed...

You can setup an exchange account on your ipad, and that should allow you to see everything from your exchange server the same as all of the rest of the 'online' mail. Any offline folders on your desktop will save exactly there. If you want to sync those, I believe it is possible, but you'd probably have to setup a manual sync that would sync when you connect to itunes.

There are no rules on the ipad, so moving emails would be something you'd do on the exchange server.

I think I know what you are going for with the unread folder - you have rules but don't want to look in each folder to check, correct? Gmail has a priority inbox, but it doesn't look like the ipad supports that at all, so I would bet it won't support the unread mail folder, but I could be wrong... :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thnx Hufn

The problem I have is that I have many folders on my exchange. MS outlook that I use on my Pc has an unread folder capability that displays all unread mails no matter in which folder they are stored. My iPad client seems not to have this capability and thus I have to go over each folder to see if I have new mails.

Another problem that I have is that due to storage limitations I also have a personal inbox set on my exchange and emails ,based on rules, referring to my personnal inbox are stored locally on my Pc . Again I have an unread mail capability no matter in which folder of my personnal inbox mails are stored.
The folders of my personnal inbox are not displayed in my iPad and this is also an additional problem.

All mails that I receive on my Pc and are stored on my personal inbox ARE NOT delivered on my iPad email client.

The best solution for me would have been to some how present on my iPad all unread mails in one location, despite if in my Pc they are stored in various folders. S my question is if I can do this.

Thnx

Last edited:

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right - there does not seem to be any support for the unread mail folder. You have two issues - the multiple folders and the personal folders.

For the personal folders - they are stored locally on the specific PC. When you sync to exchange it can't send those, as they are not on the server, but your PC. You might be able to manually sync (through itunes or I know there are other software packages that do it) but that is either via cable or probably locally at least.

As to the multiple folders (I assume you are using lots of rules?) I can't find any way other than checking them all, and I know that sucks. I have everything coming to my inbox as any other folder won't notify me that it's arrived, then move it when I read it. GMail supports starred emails, and I believe you can see the starred folder, but that's probably not going to help tremendously...

Anyone else have an idea?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Same Issue

You are right - there does not seem to be any support for the unread mail folder. You have two issues - the multiple folders and the personal folders.

For the personal folders - they are stored locally on the specific PC. When you sync to exchange it can't send those, as they are not on the server, but your PC. You might be able to manually sync (through itunes or I know there are other software packages that do it) but that is either via cable or probably locally at least.

As to the multiple folders (I assume you are using lots of rules?) I can't find any way other than checking them all, and I know that sucks. I have everything coming to my inbox as any other folder won't notify me that it's arrived, then move it when I read it. GMail supports starred emails, and I believe you can see the starred folder, but that's probably not going to help tremendously...

Anyone else have an idea?

Arose when I tried this, I can't really think of a way around it, but will keep digging

Jeff

Most reactions

Latest posts