What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

losing wifi after sleep mode

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i've seen quite a few search results on this but no answers.

"brand new" refurb ipad 5.1.1 no settings adjusted.
after a long sleep mode (overnight) the ipad has lost it's wifi. not only that, the ipad is slow to respond to everything.,,,,as if it's groggy. a couple of times, it didn't "turn on" when the cover was opened....i had to tap the home button to bring up an unlock. backlight seems a bit dimmer etc etc. just in general - the ipad is not "alert". i have to restart the unit and everything is cheery again. wifi is connected, everything normal

any clues...i've googled this. many results, no answers.

thx

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i've seen quite a few search results on this but no answers.

"brand new" refurb ipad 5.1.1 no settings adjusted.
after a long sleep mode (overnight) the ipad has lost it's wifi. not only that, the ipad is slow to respond to everything.,,,,as if it's groggy. a couple of times, it didn't "turn on" when the cover was opened....i had to tap the home button to bring up an unlock. backlight seems a bit dimmer etc etc. just in general - the ipad is not "alert". i have to restart the unit and everything is cheery again. wifi is connected, everything normalY

any clues...i've googled this. many results, no answers.

thx
The public wifi at my hotel in Chicago earlier this week was like that. If the iPad went to sleep, the wifi connection was lost on wake up and had to be reconnected. I think it's more likely to be a function of the wifi router than a problem with the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The public wifi at my hotel in Chicago earlier this week was like that. If the iPad wnt to sleep, the wifi connection was lost on wake up and had to be reconnected. I think it's more likely to be a function of the wifi router than a problem with the iPad.

yes. i read that answer elsewhere. this is my home network. my other ipad has no problems. phone and other puters on wifi are okay. it's just this ipad.
there is nothing. the ipad is looping trying to find networks but it cannot. it doesn't populate a list of networks. essentially the wifi is like it shut off, and again the unit itself is just slow and grumpy unless i restart.

Last edited:
OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting / restarting your iPad? iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

You might also try restarting your router. My iPad lost wifi connection once for no apparent reason after I'd been staying in a corporate flat for weeks (no change in settings or password), and everything worked fine again once I reset the router.

yes i've said that i had to retstart my ipad to get it going again. that is not an optional solution however. i shouldn't have to do that every time the ipad comes out of sleep mode. resetting the router is no option either because my other ipad works fine. i guess i'll be contacting support. i shouldn't have to deal with work-arounds.

what i was hoping for was if someone had a solution in settings that i'm overlooking.....thx

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes i've said that i had to retstart my ipad to get it going again. that is not an optional solution however. i shouldn't have to do that every time the ipad comes out of sleep mode. resetting the router is no option either because my other ipad works fine. i guess i'll be contacting support. i shouldn't have to deal with work-arounds.

what i was hoping for was if someone had a solution in settings that i'm overlooking.....thx

Agree that there's no reason to have to constantly work around. These are simply troubleshooting steps.

If you've already tried restarting as well as resetting (some people don't know the difference and think that sleep mode is restarting or resetting), and tried restarting your modem, then you might be out of troubleshooting steps and need to talk to Apple.

I will note that when I restarted my router for one of my iPad's wifi failure, I had three other iDevices that continued to work fine on the same wifi network -- a second iPad, as well as a touch 4 and an iPhone 4 at the time. The laptop I had on the same network never lost connection either. What I've noticed with multiple iDevices is that each has its own apparent quirks and sometimes one will hold a connection while another won't.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree that there's no reason to have to constantly work around. These are simply troubleshooting steps.

If you've already tried restarting as well as resetting (some people don't know the difference and think that sleep mode is restarting or resetting), and tried restarting your modem, then you might be out of troubleshooting steps and need to talk to Apple.

I will note that when I restarted my router for one of my iPad's wifi failure, I had three other iDevices that continued to work fine on the same wifi network -- a second iPad, as well as a touch 4 and an iPhone 4 at the time. The laptop I had on the same network never lost connection either. What I've noticed with multiple iDevices is that each has its own apparent quirks and sometimes one will hold a connection while another won't.

i have found an acceptable workaround. if i turn off wifi, i can manually turn it on when i open the cover, and it will connect immediately. it's acceptable because leaving the wifi on all the time drains battery anyway. STILL,,,it is a flaw. i'm wondering if i should take the unit in anyway.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have found an acceptable workaround. if i turn off wifi, i can manually turn it on when i open the cover, and it will connect immediately. it's acceptable because leaving the wifi on all the time drains battery anyway. STILL,,,it is a flaw. i'm wondering if i should take the unit in anyway.

I'd take it in. I wouldn't consider that an acceptable long-term fix. Your call, of course.

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the same issue with my "new iPad" only started happening today, every time I wake it up no wifi. Everything else on the network is fine.

I also find that when out & about, I often connect to wifi that show a good signal but can't get web pages to load etc.

amydaveg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue. The only thing that helps is when in reset network in the settings menu. Then I have to re enter all my info for each wifi network.

Is there a fix?

This is my first apple items and probably my last. Apple will not even talk to me me on the phone because my 90 days are up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the same issue. The only thing that helps is when in reset network in the settings menu. Then I have to re enter all my info for each wifi network.

Is there a fix?

This is my first apple items and probably my last. Apple will not even talk to me me on the phone because my 90 days are up.

This iPad 2 is my first and only Apple product. Love the product, but from what is written about Apple customer service, it may well be my last. It's seems to be a crap shoot, with emphasis on crap.

From experience, Kindle products and Amazon customer service are super good.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
amydaveg said:

Is there a fix?

If you take it to Apple they will be happy to look at it. Take it from me, it is hard to troubleshoot tech over the phone, that is why the Apple Stores are popping up everywhere. Make a Genius appointment and they will be happy to look at your iPad, no matter where you are in your warranty cycle or even not at all.

Most reactions

Latest posts