What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a specific app ( if it exists)

Jordanw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, new poster here because I thought I may be able to find some answers on this forum.

I'm in search of an app for my work. I need to record different categories at different times during the day.

I'll list my needs to make it a little easier.

-Need to be able to set different categories up to 10 or more.
- When i select a category to record the time, it has to use the time on my ipad and record that certain category as being completed at that time.
-The different categories have to be nameable.
-The times must correspond with the date of the day and the date has to be recorded along with the times.
-The app has to be functional without wifi.
-The data has to be able to be saved and viewed at a later date.
- It has to be simple to record the times for each category as there will be up to 50 times a day where I need to record the time for each category.

I'm not sure if there is an app that is able to do what I need, I have been searching for a long time to no avail.

If the information I have given makes no sense, or you need more information please let me know.

Thank you,

Jordan.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you are doing. You'll probably get better suggestions if you describe what you are trying to accomplish in terms of the job/task instead of the mechanics of the app you're after. It is likely that others have similar needs/jobs and will understand the details. Because I'm trying to work backwards from the details instead of knowing the goal, these are fairly generic suggestions. Flexible enough to do most things, but requiring more time to setup and discipline to use than a more targeted app might provide.

Evernote should give you several ways to approach this. You could set up your categories either as notebooks or tags. Every note is time and date stamped when it is created. Those times and dates can be edited, if need be.

While Evernote is an internet app, you do not need an internet connection to create the note. Notes created when you have no connection will be synced online the next time you have internet and open the app. The main advantages of Evernote is the flexibility in how you use it and near universal availability across platforms.

A premium account ($5/mo or less per year) will keep any or all notebooks synced locally on the iPad. Try the free account first and see if it does what you want.

Other solutions could be a database app like Bento or HanDBase. Or you could use a spreadsheet app like Numbers or numerous other Office compatible apps. Database apps usually time stamp a record when it is made. You would have to enter time/date manually for a spreadsheet, but there are ways of doing it quickly.

I don't usually recommend Bento to non Mac (OS X) users. But it would do a fine job for what you want. The ability to export the database as a .csv file will make it easy to backup and/or import the results to a spreadsheet like Excel.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It sounds like your wanting to track the start and stop times for specific tasks. Like a time sheet for micro tasks. Try searching the App Store for "time sheet". The descriptions should give you enough to make a selection.

Most reactions

Latest posts