What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a game where you actually need skill

Pomegrante

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here, so please bear with me. For a long time I am looking for a game which satisfied following conditions:

* You need skill to play/advance/improve. No matter what skill, it can be strategy, speed, accuracy or anything. This also means you can get pretty much stuck unless you improve. I don't want games, where you can toss a few dollars in and you get best weapons and abilities. I also don't want games, where you need to wake up several times during the night, if you want to compete for top spots in some PVP. And I also don't want games, where you can substitute skill for grinding. Are you skilled? Fine, here's your epic sword. Did you fail? Nevermind, run the easier dungeon 100 times, you'll get the sword anyway. Perfect examples: chess or Halflife PVP.

* But there should be some advancement. You shouldn't start each game/fight/session with exactly the same stuff (like in chess). Someone with skill XY playing longer should have advantage over someone else with same skill XY playing shorter, being it gear, levels, abilities or just possibilities of playing. But this advantage should not be ultimate. Ideally someone with skill X playing shorter should beat (right away or at least in a short time) someone else with skill Y playing longer time, where X > Y. Perfect example: arenas in WoW.

* It should be (at least partially) offline. Most of the time I can play online, but significant amount of time I am offline. So there could be some PVP online content, but there should be also some activities that can be done offline. Perfect example: Etherlords (for PVP you need to be online, for PVE you can be offline).

I don't know if anything like that exists, I hope it does. The closest what I have found are card games (Hearthstone, Duel of Champions), but still you can buy epic cards with money there getting incredible advantage no matter what skill you have. Also you need to be online to play. Or various pure PVP games (no advancement here, need to be online).

Ideally it would be a PVP + PVE game. PVP would bring "you can improve indefinitely" aspect, PVE would be very challenging and could be played offline. It could have events, so there is content even for players who finished all PVE, or the PVE could not be finished in principle.

Thanks a lot!

Deano1369

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what games have tried before?

You looking for dungeon crawlers or MMo's?

Most reactions

Latest posts