What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Life With Steve Jobs

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not someone I'd probably like. Too many stories of him stomping on people.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not someone I'd probably like. Too many stories of him stomping on people.

I worked for a man who was a real SOB. He was the best boss I ever had. He demanded perfection and if you did not deliver, you were gone. He knew what his people were capable of accomplishing and you dare not, ever, never, ever disappoint him. He was not a nice person, just a brilliant one. I can tolerate such people.

Unfortunately, I have worked for people that were clueless fools who only thought they knew something. They combined stupidity with trying to be a tough boss and they failed. Those people drive me nuts.

I hope my new boss is a winner.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.
RIP Steve Jobs

Sent from iPad 1, one of the devices that changed the world. Thank you Steve.

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I know he was a genius, and all that. It's just that, as I've gotten older, it's as much about who a person is, as what that person does. In my case, my heroes were musicians like the Beatles (something I had in common with Jobs), who were also, arguably, geniuses. The more I learned about them on a personal level, though, the less reverent I became, and the same holds true for Steve Jobs.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Interesting point of view.

Besides my mother, who is not a mere mortal, I don't think I've ever revered anyone. I admire many people for their accomplishments or their determination to
do something even if they're not successful.

Jobs is a great study of singleminded drive and what it's capable of. He achieved what he did by going over or through those who stood in his way. Being the best
came before all other considerations. And I'm sure at great expense to Jobs personally. It's human nature to want to be liked. In Jobs' case and for those with equal or greater ambition, they have to accept the best they can likely expect, is to be tolerated and perhaps admired.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting point of view.

Besides my mother, who is not a mere mortal, I don't think I've ever revered anyone. I admire many people for their accomplishments or their determination to
do something even if they're not successful.

Jobs is a great study of singleminded drive and what it's capable of. He achieved what he did by going over or through those who stood in his way. Being the best
came before all other considerations. And I'm sure at great expense to Jobs personally. It's human nature to want to be liked. In Jobs' case and for those with equal or greater ambition, they have to accept the best they can likely expect, is to be tolerated and perhaps admired.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well, I use 'reverence' loosely. I respect Jobs' accomplishments, but if he'd ever addressed me with anything less than respect, I would've given it right back to him, as I would with anyone. It is perhaps that I am also a perfectionist (actually, a recovering perfectionist who has trouble with the concept, because I am trying to recover from my perfectionism perfectly). Perhaps it is a matter of simply seeing traits in others that I have, and don't particularly care for. He was someone with whom I would've probably enjoyed having dinner with (as long as he had all his iToys turned off, lol). However, as I think Anne Landers (or Dear Abby) once wrote: "good manners don't cost anything." He is someone I would've enjoyed listening to music with. I don't know if I could've ever worked for him.

Most reactions

Latest posts