What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing Apps.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aside from closing open Apps - by double-clicking on the 'Home' button and dealing with each App listed in then lower window that displays - how is everyone insuring that their Apps are indeed closed down?

I ask this because the above procedure had always been done, but I just recently learned (at the Apple Store) that there were some Apps which were killing my battery, by running in the background.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a multitasking machine. The application in the background, is just suspended. Not running. The only task that can run in background is iPOD. And regarding the battery - forget it. The application that draw current is a bright screen, and a running GPS applicaion

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad is not a multitasking machine. The application in the background, is just suspended. Not running. The only task that can run in background is iPOD. And regarding the battery - forget it. The application that draw current is a bright screen, and a running GPS applicaion

Well, I have not tried to treat it as such (a Multi-tasking machine), and only know what the tech told me, at the Apple Store. He stated that I had Mobile Email issues, resulting in crashes, and that there were Apps causing a premature drain on my battery.

They swapped my unit out, but I really haven't had the time to put this new one to the test, yet. I just hope that it isn't to be plagued with the same problem(s), and am trying to learn what all I could do to insure that wouldn't be.

Nessaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I have not tried to treat it as such (a Multi-tasking machine), and only know what the tech told me, at the Apple Store. He stated that I had Mobile Email issues, resulting in crashes, and that there were Apps causing a premature drain on my battery.

They swapped my unit out, but I really haven't had the time to put this new one to the test, yet. I just hope that it isn't to be plagued with the same problem(s), and am trying to learn what all I could do to insure that wouldn't be.

The processes that most drain your battery contains Push Notification, 3G-net, location service,etc. Most apps just suspend when in background and do not run or drain battery(iPod and some navi apps excluded).

You may turn those function off if you want a longer usage.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Also, Nathan ~ I have my light on the brightest as I love it that way. But some say that it does drain the battery quicker ~ you can dim your light considerably in settings.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@ Marie.

I have done that (lowered the brilliance setting) on this replacement, and have made sure that I have closed out of each program I had opened. I have had this one on almost ever since I returned from the Apple Store, last night, which means that it has been on ever since about 9pm, or so. I couldn't sleep, last night, and have been on this thing almost ever since. It is now nearly 6:45am, which translates into my iPad being on for about fifteen minutes shy of 10hrs.

I've still not played any videos, and I definitely don't play music on my iPad (I have a dedicated MP3 player for that), but I HAVE played a few games on it - as well as a good bit of surfing & emailing. Right now my battery is at 43%, and I guess that things are indeed a bit better. As I stated, I have not watched any videos on it yet, but I will soon - as I am anxious to find what the battery's depletion rate would be, with some higher taxing duties being given to it. But methinks that I should be good to go now :).

Most reactions

Latest posts