What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard Dock first impressions

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my keyboard dock today via UPS. I ordered 2, one for myself and one for my lovely wife. we both have the 64GB wifi versions.

the feel and weight of the keyboard is substantial, and as such feels solid, and not unbalanced as I thought it might with the IPad docked. Docking is very natural and stable.

The IPad sits in it vertically only, and is at a good angle for viewing. As I have primarily been typing on the IPad horizontally for almost a week, I had to adjust the size of the screen resolution manually to accommodate my aging eyes.

The keyboard is very standard, but does have keys along the top of the keyboard in place of standard function keys, (PC guy) that control specific IPad functions; Home, Search, Brightness, Photos, on screen keyboard on/off, Music/Movie/Slideshow Pause, Play, and Ffwd/Rev, Mute, Volume up/dwn, and finally Lock.

There is also a key in the center that is completely void of marking, maybe it can be assigned or used in later FW updates, but the small instructions give no hint at its use.

The most welcome feature for me is the arrow keys to the lower right of the keyboard. I like to edit my poor typing, and found the onboard keyboard a little difficult to place the cursor exactly where I wanted it, this is very helpful.

The power cord plugs into the very back of the unit, and to the left is an aux line out port. I have powered speakers in my office which I will try out tomorrow.

for Mac users, I am sure this is a fairly standard keyboard and what was expected, but for a new user like me, it was a very nice and welcome addition to my already impressive IPad.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to hear your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like both keyboard options from apple are winners :).

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wireless keyboard that came with my iMac (late 2009) and I love it. I'm a recent convert to Mac so I've only been using it a few months.

If it's possible I might try pairing the same keyboard with my iPad and take it with me when I travel. Then I don't have to buy another keyboard. Of course I'll have to get a stand or dock to prop the iPad up.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dennis, I bought the apple bt keyboard planning to use it with my Mac Pro and the iPad. I love the keyboard, but the on screen keyboard in landscape mode is a lot better than I expected. I can touch type most of the time so I am not sure that I need the keyboard for the iPad. It is nice to have options though :).

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my mac keyboard. But I use the wired one with my mac because I must have the separate 10 key style number pad LOL

Apple peripherals are awesome, I'm glad you like yours.

And yes you can pair the standard bluetooth keyboard that macs use with the ipad.

Reaction score
I'm planning to have a keyboard for my iPad. What do you think is best for a busy businessman like me?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sleek gear Keyboard

I'm planning to have a keyboard for my iPad. What do you think is best for a busy businessman like me?

I use my iPad for business with Office2 Pro and sincerely i don’t need keyboard at all … i use it for take order and send it to my assistant by email in 2 days i have meet 16 customer and got order from them as i didn’t feel i need a keyboard at all .. but i understand some fellow will need keyboard , so is why we are preparing one

BethAsheville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My keyboard dock arrived yesterday and I'm happy to be able to touch-type more easily - and have the dash, apostrophe, and @ on the same keyboard as the letters! (I really, really want those keys on the primary onscreen keyboard, since I'll continue to use that keyboard on the couch, etc. sometimes. Actually I wish they'd add a line with those keys, plus the arrow keys, to the on-screen keyboard. I sent a suggestion about that to the iPad developers, and I hope that others will, too!)

The dock is quite sturdy and fine for use on my kitchen table. I have a lap desk for use on the couch... now typing (keying) from there. A wireless Bluetooth keyboard would have some pluses for flexibility, but this will do me for now.

What I really miss are several wonderful keys that I use all the time on IBM PC / Microsoft Windows / Dell keyboards. This is my very first use of an Apple keyboard... I used an iPod for years, but that has no keyboard, of course... I love, love, love the forward-delete key and the Home and End keys to move to the beginning and end of text lines AND the beginning / end of a page. In Apple's closed-realm arrogance, they've missed out on some excellent usability for their end-users. I respect their great talents in creating this very fine iPad - but I have a Windows PC for my full-function computer and it's better for keyboarding. Overall the iPad is a pleasure to use, though nowhere near perfect. Now I'll stop complaining and get on with my life... though I keep tuning caps lock on by mistake when I hit it instead of left shift....

alfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
keyboard with iPad in leather case

I just got my apple keyboard with dock today. I use my iPad with a leather folio from Belkin (its a gift) because i love the screen protection that the Belkin gives.

Would anyone know if i can use the iPad on the Apple keyboard dock without removing it from the folder. The folder itself has a wide space in the bottom for access to the bottom charging port without the iPad being removed from the folio. The reason is if i have to remove the iPad from the folio i might just sell it and get an apple bluetooth keyboard instead.

Because of this i have not opened the keyboard so that i can sell it with minimal loss as it would be unused and sealed

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't heard of a single case / cover out there that will allow use with either the keyboard dock or the regular dock.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad keyboard and cover

I just got my apple keyboard with dock today. I use my iPad with a leather folio from Belkin (its a gift) because i love the screen protection that the Belkin gives.

Would anyone know if i can use the iPad on the Apple keyboard dock without removing it from the folder. The folder itself has a wide space in the bottom for access to the bottom charging port without the iPad being removed from the folio. The reason is if i have to remove the iPad from the folio i might just sell it and get an apple bluetooth keyboard instead.

Because of this i have not opened the keyboard so that i can sell it with minimal loss as it would be unused and sealed

I guess one solution is something like this

Attachments

• DSC_0018sml.jpg
    DSC_0018sml.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 190

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like my keyboard dock, too. I plan to do a fair amount of writing on my iPad and I find typing on it very comfortable. However, the keyboard dock must be placed on a flat stable surfaced or the vertical iPad rocks out of it, but that's okay with me. No typing on the couch with it; if that's what you want, I think there's a Bluetooth keyboard that would work better for you.

ozbear3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with you on all counts Ghuda. I am a new iPad user and still going through the learning process. I just wondered if there are a few more Keyboard tricks we are unaware of, like some way of closing down, like the Smart Cover does when the Pad is wearing it. KB.

Most reactions

Latest posts