What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep my iPad 3 and give son an iPad mini?

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if its a 2 not 3 then it doesnt matter because both still not retina display but if one of em retina display should give to your child because easier look on the eyes for games and readings :thumbs:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He saved the money so therefore his choice. I am with 10-16 year olds every day at school and 10 is old enough to make adult decisions. However the parent knows their son better than all of us. Either way, you both win, no matter the size.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He saved the money so therefore his choice. I am with 10-16 year olds every day at school and 10 is old enough to make adult decisions. However the parent knows their son better than all of us. Either way, you both win, no matter the size.

We teach kids to learn to make decisions. Part of making decisions is understanding the possible consequences of those choices. What would be the negative consequences of buying a new iPad mini vs. a used iPad 2?

With a new mini, he would get a new device with a full warranty, newer guts and better screen, better camera and more features, like Siri. It's also a lighter device.

With his dad's iPad 2, he'd get a bigger but fuzzier screen, a used device with limited or no warranty, a lesser camera and no features like Siri. It's also a heavier device.

This question seems like less about encouraging a child to make smart choices (and exercise preferences) than a parent who wouldn't mind having an iPad mini for himself.

Deathclaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly I'd keep the mini over ipad 3 or 4 or any other ipad in general.

OP
V

vindle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We teach kids to learn to make decisions. Part of making decisions is understanding the possible consequences of those choices. What would be the negative consequences of buying a new iPad mini vs. a used iPad 2?

With a new mini, he would get a new device with a full warranty, newer guts and better screen, better camera and more features, like Siri. It's also a lighter device.

With his dad's iPad 2, he'd get a bigger but fuzzier screen, a used device with limited or no warranty, a lesser camera and no features like Siri. It's also a heavier device.

This question seems like less about encouraging a child to make smart choices (and exercise preferences) than a parent who wouldn't mind having an iPad mini for himself.

I want him to make his own choice. The reason I asked because if it were me making decision I am not sure what to do. Actually neither is he as at 10 you have ( around here) limited experience. I am happy it is a decision learning experience for him... And me

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not really such a simple decision, actually. If I only could have one, I'd be torn to make a decision. I imagine that the mini will fit into this life better, but that's just a guess on my part. Certainly, the lower cost of a mini is a factor that helps, as one needs apps and a case, too. So the price to play is less with the mini.

Most reactions

Latest posts