What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iworks beta

jt4411

iPF Noob
Reaction score
received an email that they are phasing out iworks. does this mean that they will have a new document storage or i need to find a new one? if i need a new one, whaat do you suggest to be compatible with pages and keynotes (is that an issue at all?)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You mean iWorks.com, I gather. I always felt it was a bit limited.

You can use iCloud.com instead, to a point. It is only a good solution for keeping your iOS devices synced, and you can also move documents between OS X iWorks apps and iOS versions using the web interface; by going to icloud.com on the computer.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is supposed to increase iCloud integration on the Mac side of things. It should include the ability to maintain and share files from iCloud. Rumors are it will be out soon, but as with all things Apple it won't announce it for real until a month or so (at most) before release; and no one outside of Apple knows for sure when that will be.

For online storage and sharing of iWorks files I'm partial to Box.com. Mostly because you can use the WebDAV option in the iOS versions of the apps to export and import files. On a computer (Mac) you have to use the website to manage files, which is less convenient that using DropBox.

DropBox works very well on the Mac side. It is less useful on the iOS versions of iWorks. A workaround is to get a SMEStorage account and the iSMEStorage app. SMEStorage is an online storage aggregator, and will give you the ability to access several cloud file services from one place (two with the free account). Because it has WebDAV services you can access your DropBox files indirectly using it; though it's not perfect.

What I do is use DropBox for just about everything except the iWorks apps. For those I use Box.com. Occasionally when I have to use DropBox with an iWorks app for some reason I'll use the SMEStorage solution.

Box.com is also nice to have because, unlike DropBox, it makes the sharing of entire folders easy.

OP
J

jt4411

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weird. I only use icloud and there is an iworks there that i use. So is this the same or diff from the beta one being phased out?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
jt4411 said:
Weird. I only use icloud and there is an iworks there that i use. So is this the same or diff from the beta one being phased out?

It is different. The iCloud service you are using is what is replacing iworks.com, though for now it is short a couple features.

OP
J

jt4411

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so anything i have at icloud.com will stay there? then why did i get an email telling me to back up my docs when its phased out? so confused. thank you for your help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've no idea why you got the letter. I got the email (twice), but I also used iworks.com, if barely. If you are worried about it visit iWorks.com and see if you have anything there. Unlikely.

iCloud and the iWorks apps associated with it are going nowhere, at least for now.

Most reactions