What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iWork vs Office

lukepast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then this just budges me forward to complete my iWork suite. Maybe I'll exempt numbers. I don't really do spread sheets. Or do you think it could come in handy?

I managed without Numbers for the past year! I just bought it today as I was bored and thought I needed it to do something - it turned out it didn't work for the particular task.

I only caved in and bought it when I noticed they now let you save as an excel formatted file - when you could only save as Numbers or PDF it was useless as I still haven't installed iWorks (from buying the boxed set when I upgraded to Snow Leopard) on my macMini.

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lukepast said:
I managed without Numbers for the past year! I just bought it today as I was bored and thought I needed it to do something - it turned out it didn't work for the particular task.

Lol. Sorry to hear you wasted $10, never know though it may come in handy sooner or later (hopefully). When using keynote can u import video clips into the presentation? Thanks

lukepast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lukepast said:

Lol. Sorry to hear you wasted $10, never know though it may come in handy sooner or later (hopefully). When using keynote can u import video clips into the presentation? Thanks

Don't know about keynote never used it :-(

Money for numbers wasn't a waste - there were things I would have used it for but didn't when I couldn't save in excel format. On reading my post it is a bit biased as Excel couldn't do the task either :-D

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ranjan said:
I use Docs-to-Go to save and read MSOffice documents from my email attachments. I can also sync via iTunes any MSOffice document on my Mac/PC. It has limited editing capabilities.

I just can't bring myself to pay $14.99 for this. I wish apple had trials for such expensive apps. I know the iPad is an expensive utility, however I'm a college student on a budget so sometimes it can be overwhelming.

Half the price of iWork suite. iPad cases cost 2-10 times this much. People have gotten a distorted view of what software costs by all the one function 99 cent apps on iOS.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with USBill. iWork is an excellent value that promises to get even better when iOS 5 comes out to provide more seamless syncing.

I also agree that the iPad versions wil not do complex formatting, but for me that is ok.

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tdmsu said:
I agree with USBill. iWork is an excellent value that promises to get even better when iOS 5 comes out to provide more seamless syncing.

I also agree that the iPad versions wil not do complex formatting, but for me that is ok.

I think he was referring to the fact that 15$ for Docs to go is half the price if you bought the iWork suite in full. Which is true. Being the don't bundle them.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right, iWork is $30. I have not used docs to go, so I cannot compare them.
My purpose was just to say that iWork is worth the price for me.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our prayers may have been answered.

Microsoft office365 works on the ipad.

Haven't tried it yet.

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog said:
Our prayers may have been answered.

Microsoft office365 works on the ipad.

Haven't tried it yet.

Really it's on the app store?

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it's a web site.

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
It is only web based and only for business & professionals....And subscription based...

Office 365 is Online Versions of Microsoft Software in the Cloud

No I am afraid 365 does not work on the iPad. I have tried it. You can create a word document yes. You can open it yes. But you can't select the text area for input. The iPad on screen keyboard does not appear because the iPad does not recognise it as a text area.

On top of this, the 365 word app seems to be a much cut down version.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlunReynolds said:
No I am afraid 365 does not work on the iPad. I have tried it. You can create a word document yes. You can open it yes. But you can't select the text area for input. The iPad on screen keyboard does not appear because the iPad does not recognise it as a text area.

On top of this, the 365 word app seems to be a much cut down version.

BTW I have tried both the beta and release versions. Same issue on both.

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office 365 is a paid service... I'm looking for a native iPad app

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You mentioned you use a MBP earlier. The most compatible/flexible solution you could have would be a combination of the iWorks app on both the iPad and the MBP combined with iWorks.com (beta), and later, iCloud.

Edit: Never mind about iWork.com. While it's a interesting sharing setup, the integration with Pages is one way, out. To get documents back you have to visit the site in Safari, download, and Open In Pages. I hadn't really played with it before, and did not realize that it was this limited.

Anything you create on the iPad will easily port back to the MBP. Most stuff you create on the MBP will port back to the iPad. The MBP version of iWorks also does a much better job of converting to and from MS Office formats.

Not the cheapest solution, but very good.

Also not cheap, but good, is to get MS Office on you MBP, and use Docs2Go or QuickOffice. This would be the choice if you needed maximum compatibility with MS Office. You'll sacrifice some flexibility on the iPad side for more compatibility with imported documents. Combine it with DropBox for easy transfers of documents.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts