What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes gift card question

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I wipe out my credit card info and add a gift card to my iTunes account (using the "Redeem" feature to add the amount to my account), will iTunes automatically deduct from that when I want to buy an app, or is there some other step I must complete? I want my account to draw from gift cards from now on, rather than my credit card.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It automatically deducts from credit on account (which redeeming a gift card will give you) than goes on credit card. If you buy something for $2.99 and only have 99 cents left, it will charge the credit card on file the difference of $2.00. There always has to be a valid credit card on the account though. Whether you use it or not is up to you.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
snowboarder8985 said:
It automatically deducts from credit on account (which redeeming a gift card will give you) than goes on credit card. If you buy something for $2.99 and only have 99 cents left, it will charge the credit card on file the difference of $2.00. There always has to be a valid credit card on the account though. Whether you use it or not is up to you.

I do not have a credit card on my account. I use only gift cards which last until I have used all the credit!

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was about to state the same thing. I believe that to initially set up your account you need a credit card but once you add a gift card you can delete your credit card info. I have not had a credit card on my account in a few years.

Maggie

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was about to state the same thing. I believe that to initially set up your account you need a credit card but once you add a gift card you can delete your credit card info. I have not had a credit card on my account in a few years.

Maggie

Thanks, Maggie. I nuked my credit card info and loaded a gift card and was able to load several free apps, so it seems to work. I haven't bought anything since I deleted my credit info, though.

I loaded an iTunes gift card earlier today, but then I saw three types of gift cards at a Target store tonight -- separate cards for iTunes, iBooks and the app store. I'm guessing the iTunes one can be used to buy apps, as well as music or such?

I've been reading about people who've had their iTunes accounts used fraudulently and I figured I'd use gift cards instead, since I rarely buy Apple content.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Thanks, Maggie. I nuked my credit card info and loaded a gift card and was able to load several free apps, so it seems to work. I haven't bought anything since I deleted my credit info, though.

I loaded an iTunes gift card earlier today, but then I saw three types of gift cards at a Target store tonight -- separate cards for iTunes, iBooks and the app store. I'm guessing the iTunes one can be used to buy apps, as well as music or such?

I've been reading about people who've had their iTunes accounts used fraudulently and I figured I'd use gift cards instead, since I rarely buy Apple content.

All the cards go the same place. Just ignore what it says on he front of card as it really doesn't mean anything. Just a way for apple to advertise their products.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need to provide credit card information to set up an account. You can go with iTunes gift cards only, right from the start.
Apple never got my credit card information (I don't share this information with other companies either) and never will. I'm picky with such details.
I'm giving away those details only if there's absolutely no other way and then only if it is a "need". In case of bying apps and music, I don't give this information.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had neither a credit card or iTunes card when I opened my iTunes account. It was only after getting my iPad that I had a need to buy any apps. The Apple guy suggested an itunes card was the safest way to go, although that may have been his personal choice.

I bought a MacBook Pro in June before Lion was released but my purchase fell within the time period that entitled me to get this update free. When trying to download however, I was asked for credit card details even though I wasn't being charged. I rang them, they were very obliging and sorted it all for me. I don't like giving out my personal details either

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts