What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes descriminates manually downloaded update package

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the iOS 5 update package and tried to do the update but iTunes won't let me it just says incompatible software. So I had to download it with iTunes (because the first time I tries it it says 20hours left), but then I open up the iTunes download location, it's the exact same file! Wtf?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can assure you it does not. I only ever update by the "manual" method and have never had a problem, including IOS5 today on multiple devices.

Maybe it was an incomplete download?

OP

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then what do you think is the problem? They are the exact same file. IPad2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
File names are pretty meaningless. What is the exact file size and hash signature (MD5)? I guarantee they are different.

It wil just be a truncated download. Always happens on a major IOS release. All the bandwidth in the world can't cope with millions of iDevices users trying to download 700MB+ files at once... :(

OP

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well maybe it was incomplete or something, but I have almost never ever encountered an incomplete download with the downloading software saying that it was completed. Maybe once in the past 10 years. and I download stuff everyday, literally.
キャプチャ.PNG

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm in the same boat. But a major IOS release tends to re-write the rules :)

The "manual" method is selecting a firmware is a failsafe provided by Apple in iTunes. It is not a work-around or other "fudge" of the system. So there is no way Apple would "hobble" it or otherwise disable it. It exists specifically so that you can always install a version of IOS by providing a valid firmware file.

As I say, I use it exclusively and always have, including 4 times today!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts