What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITUNES 10.1 update erases 65 songs in library

HiNet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I asked about my perceived difficulty w/ 10.1 I expected this community to have some input.... After a week I had to find I'm not alone. It has been reported in PC World that there are issues w/ 10.1 where many are loosing their music library after downloading the iTUNES update. My question is why I'm not seeing any other posts on the subject?

johnnypanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently had an issue with music stored on an external harddrive vanished! The music folders were still present, but the actually mp3's had somehow been removed.

Thinking about it, it would have been around the time I updated to the latest Itunes, but at that time, or even now, I'm not sure that was the problem :(

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to assume, that most of the forum members are smart enough to avoid the iTune Virus from syncing their music and books.
I assume that most people do the right thing - which is just copy through iTune what ever they need on the iPAD or what ever.., while keeping a backup on some directory on the PC .
Never trust the iTune itself as back-up.
Me. The only thing I sync ( No other choice here ) is the Applications.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't sync anything with Itunes, and that includes apps. I will transfer my purchases before an upgrade but that's about it. I had Itunes wipe out part of my library in the past, so I use third party software to manage my music library these days.

firstactress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Itunes erased my whole Ipad, All, everything I had in it is completely lost, Lost as in I'll never see it again.

I lost many documents, my business is ruined, I will never use Itunes to add any more documents again to any of my devices. I will find another way. It's awful, it's the seccond ipad that got it's whole memory erased, why? all my books, all my pdf's am I not allowed to have pdf"s? is that the deal? It's awful, do not recommend it to anyone,

When I asked about my perceived difficulty w/ 10.1 I expected this community to have some input.... After a week I had to find I'm not alone. It has been reported in PC World that there are issues w/ 10.1 where many are loosing their music library after downloading the iTUNES update. My question is why I'm not seeing any other posts on the subject?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh heck, what update problem, I'm never on my laptop to notice this! Always on my iPad. I'd better check my library I think!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
HiNet said:

could be that the people having problems did not sync prior to updating, and sync after updating, so iTunes then update the iPad without the newer files on the iPad, thus deleting them

I've not synced in a long time, yes I know I should really do it.... but if memory serves me right, probably not, there is an option to tell iTunes which files to keep, the ones on iPad or iTunes?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wytey said:
could be that the people having problems did not sync prior to updating, and sync after updating, so iTunes then update the iPad without the newer files on the iPad, thus deleting them

I've not synced in a long time, yes I know I should really do it.... but if memory serves me right, probably not, there is an option to tell iTunes which files to keep, the ones on iPad or iTunes?

Yup, you are right, I don't see any problems but then I always synch/backup my devices before updating, maybe why I never noticed any problems.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

firstactress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is disabled try again in 21 minutes

Well, this was after it asked me to update. I already had my itunes set to sync only the selected files, but when it did the update, an error came up and it erased everything and made both my ipads the way they came from the factory.
I read this in the news today. The whole text is below because the forum wont let me post links:
Could it be apple did this to all devices?
One ipad is acting strange now, for example, it was not coming on, and it said to wait 20 minutes before I could use it again
It said: "ipad is disabled. Try again in 21 minutes"
It worked after 20 minutes, but it scares me that itunes gave my ipads some sort of bug, and Im afraid to conect them to itunes ever again.

"(WIRED news: iPhone software update squashes location-data 'bugs') -- On Wednesday, Apple released a software update for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch devices, fixing a flawed location-storage method that raised privacy concerns last month.
The update, iOS version 4.3.3, reduces the size of the file that stores geodata on iOS devices -- meaning it will no longer contain a history of location data going back as far as one year ago.
Additionally, with the update installed, iTunes won't back up the iOS device's location database file, meaning the geodata will no longer be stored on your computer.
Last, when customers disable the Location Services setting on their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, it deletes all the information stored in the location file, according to Apple.
The software update comes in response to a security issue illuminated by two data scientists, who discovered that an unprotected file inside Apple's iOS software stores a log of geodata accompanied with time stamps, creating a digital trail of a customer's general moves for the past year.
The Wall Street Journal later reported that even when location services were turned off on the iPhone, the device was still collecting geodata.
Apple eventually explained that iOS devices are not actually tracking a customer's precise movements, but rather, iOS devices are collecting information about nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi access points, which helps speed up location services.
The company added that "bugs" caused iOS devices to continue storing location data even when location services were turned off. Apple also said it made a mistake by making the location database file too large.
The iOS 4.3.3 update is a free download available through iTunes. The download is 666 megabytes large."

afzimm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so when you lost everything from your iPads did you have to re-purchase the paid apps?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The complaints do not make sense. The iOS 4.3.3 update was a fix for a minor issue that the media blew way out of proportion. It has nothing to do with any issue of files being erased. What would make sense since this apparently affects two iPads connected to the same computer, is that the computer might have a virus. The other possibility is that the iPads were synced to a computer other than the one they were originally synced with. If they were not backed up before syncing to a new computer, iTunes would erase the iPads.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lost everything on my iPad 1 and since I got iPad 2 there both n 4.3.... I'm too scared to upgrade to 4.3.3, how is it anyways and what's the correct way/order to back up before u updated iOS? And what does it mean by transfer purchased apps?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iTunes on the computer, under File there is a task labelled Transfer Purchases from iPad that will move any files you have loaded onto your iPad. I have seen many places where you can find tips on ways to improve your iTunes experience. Most of the problems I have seen are due to inexperience with the nuances. There are many little things that make the experience more pleasant. I keep all of my 3000 songs nicely organized using the rating system. I have ten categories available. Most only see five, but there is a way to make it ten.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.3.3 has given me no problems. It is good to sync and backup your iPad. I also use iTunes to transfer my music and videos across three computers.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No issues with 4.3.3 here either. Loaded on three iPads, three iTouch's, and an iPhone - all good.

I'm not sure what the stats above are yet I had terrible luck with iTunes on my PC. We have an iMac/27 that my kids use near exclusively yet I am the administrator etc. I have all our music/files on the PC as well as backup drives. I then transfer music/files to the iMac as required specifically for our Apple toys.

I have yet to have one hiccup with iTunes on the Mac nor any connected device. But you will never find iTunes on my PC again. We are an Apple and Microsoft/PC family yet I no longer allow the two to mingle... :)

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts