What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an app for audio recording + powerpoint annotating?

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of today's lectures and talks utilize powerpoint slides. So what I do is print out the powerpoint slides in advance and take notes on the printout.

That makes me wonder. If there was an app that lets you make annotations directly on powerpoint slides and even record audio of the lecture that will sync with the powerpoint, wouldn't that be great? (The closest solution I've found to this is Livescribe pens. But they won't let you take notes on powerpoint printouts. You have to use special DOT notebook to synchronize your note with the audio recording.) Is there an app for that?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The most common solution is to convert the Power Point presentation to a PDF. There are several tools that will let you do this, both on the computer and the iPad. Once you've done that your will find yourself with the difficult choice of choosing one of the many excellent PDF annotation tools available.

Apple's Keynote can import and convert PPT files to PDF. I also have PDF Converter, a simple app for converting various documents and formats to PDF.

Recently the Microsoft apps have been updated with a PDF export option; so if you have an Office 365 subscription you could use MS Powerpoint app for the iPad to make the conversion. You might not need the Office 365 subscription. I seem to remember it saying the PDF export option would work without. So you could use the free app to open and convert files. This might even be the most accurate method available.

As for the PDF annotation end; the one most often recommended by students on this forum is Notability.

I like PDF Expert myself, but my needs are more general.

OP
N

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most common solution is to convert the Power Point presentation to a PDF. There are several tools that will let you do this, both on the computer and the iPad. Once you've done that your will find yourself with the difficult choice of choosing one of the many excellent PDF annotation tools available.

Thanks for the answer.

Converting Powerpoint to PDF and annotating on the PDF is one thing. Do those PDF annotation apps allow you to take audio note with iPad's microphone too? In a nutshell, I'd like to take a "real-time" audio + written notes. In playback, I should be able to "play" both the audio and the written notes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe Notability can record audio while taking notes. I know there are at least two or three other apps that will do this as well, though I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

Looking at the Notabilities description it also says it can import ppt files via Google Drive. I'm not sure how that works.

Here is their website. http://www.gingerlabs.com/cont/learn.php

If it does not answer all your questions there is probably some email link that will. You might also try searching this site for student, note taking, and Notability.

Good luck.

OP
N

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe Notability can record audio while taking notes. I know there are at least two or three other apps that will do this as well, though I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

Looking at the Notabilities description it also says it can import ppt files via Google Drive. I'm not sure how that works.

Here is their website. http://www.gingerlabs.com/cont/learn.php

If it does not answer all your questions there is probably some email link that will. You might also try searching this site for student, note taking, and Notability.

Good luck.

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! I've just tried Notability, and it does everything I need very well. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts