What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is iTunes gimped?

thewiirocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I absolutely love my new iPad. It's fast, it's sleek, and it has a great deal of potential. However, I have started bumping across some issues that suggest that some of the software may still be stuck in iPhone land.

The piece that's been giving me the most grief is iTunes. Here's my story.

So I decide that I'll test out my new iPad by renting a movie. I browse through and decide on Sherlock Holmes. Tap "rent" and everything goes through nice and smooth. I set my iPad down and take care of other business for a bit.

I come back a short while later and note that the movie has downloaded about 1/3rd of the way through. Cool. So I decide to start watching it.

Uh oh. I can't find a way to start the movie. Tapping on it in iTunes does nothing, and it doesn't show up in the "movies" app.

So I decide to go see if iTunes supports podcasts while I wait. I visit a site of a respected vodcaster and tap on the subscribe link. The vodcaster comes up in iTunes no problem. Only issue? I can't actually subscribe. I can only download ala carte. Ok, no prob. So I tap to download a few episodes. They're small and shouldn't take long.

Now we get to my third issue. All the episodes end up waiting on the movie download I rented. Not wanting to screw around with pausing and unpausing downloads, I finally let everything be and come here to type this post.

Does anyone know a way around these three issues (streaming rentals, podcast subscribing, and single download) or is the iPad software really still that primitive?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapping on it in iTunes does nothing, and it doesn't show up in the "movies" app.

I can't answer most of your questions but I do remember when I scanned over a disclaimer I recently read (either on my iPad or my iMac) I noticed it said that movies rented on the iPad could not be transferred to iTunes. This should explain that part but as far as the rest of your issues I'll leave that up to someone else.

OP
T

thewiirocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapping on it in iTunes does nothing, and it doesn't show up in the "movies" app.

I can't answer most of your questions but I do remember when I scanned over a disclaimer I recently read (either on my iPad or my iMac) I noticed it said that movies rented on the iPad could not be transferred to iTunes. This should explain that part but as far as the rest of your issues I'll leave that up to someone else.

My apologies if I was unclear. I'm referring to iTunes on the device. When you use iTunes on a desktop or laptop computer, you can begin watching a movie while it is downloading. I can't seem to find a similar option on the iPad either in iTunes on the iPad or in the "movies" app where I ultimately play the movie.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies if I was unclear. I'm referring to iTunes on the device. When you use iTunes on a desktop or laptop computer, you can begin watching a movie while it is downloading. I can't seem to find a similar option on the iPad either in iTunes on the iPad or in the "movies" app where I ultimately play the movie.

I think you have to wait the download be finished .... let have a try and give us the result

Abwaln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find a rented movie that I bought on iTunes and downloaded on my iPad.

I downloaded the rented movie on my iPad and I can't find it. It's not in the videos app nor is it in the iTunes app. I searched in the search page ant it didn't list it. Help?

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the rented movie on my iPad and I can't find it. It's not in the videos app nor is it in the iTunes app. I searched in the search page ant it didn't list it. Help?
That's weird. Did it finish downloading? Let us know where u found it if u did. I was thinking of renting a movie till i saw this post.

OP
T

thewiirocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's weird. Did it finish downloading? Let us know where u found it if u did. I was thinking of renting a movie till i saw this post.

Once a rental movie completes downloading, it will show up in the "Videos" app under the tab "Rentals". However, it will only show up *after* download. In the meantime it will appear under "Downloads" in iTunes.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hopefully tomorrow they will announce that has been fixed and allow concurrent downloads and viewing while downloading.

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hopefully tomorrow they will announce that has been fixed and allow concurrent downloads and viewing while downloading.
I hope they announce alot of things. I wish there was an attachment tab on email. I know i can send pages files or .doc files am only able to get that option through pages.. Why not allot me just to open my email and attach my pages files

Abwaln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't find rented movie

Weird, the movie finished downloading and wasn't in the download section of iTunes nor was it in the video app. I gave up. The next morning it showed up in the video app and it played perfectly.. It couldn't finish downloading overnight because I iPad was turned off. I'm sure it finished downloading before I tried to find it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope they announce alot of things. I wish there was an attachment tab on email. I know i can send pages files or .doc files am only able to get that option through pages.. Why not allot me just to open my email and attach my pages files

Does anyone know what time the event is supposed to be today?

OP
T

thewiirocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weird, the movie finished downloading and wasn't in the download section of iTunes nor was it in the video app. I gave up. The next morning it showed up in the video app and it played perfectly.. It couldn't finish downloading overnight because I iPad was turned off. I'm sure it finished downloading before I tried to find it.

FWIW, I just had the same issue with a song I downloaded. It downloaded and then disappeared. I called support and they were able to set it up for me to re-download.

While I was on the phone with them, I figured out the problem. Apparently, the iPad's album association got corrupted. Looking at the album through the Album view showed me every song that is on my iPad. (!) The lady on the phone gave me some standard troubleshooting tips and promised to log the issue as a possible bug.

FWIW, the solution appears to be to restart your iPad. It doesn't completely fix the corruption, but it does make the disappeared item visible again.

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
You have to wait until the movie is fully downloaded before viewing, because the iPad does not yet have multitasking capabilities beyond a few core functions (like mail).

I've rented and watched a few movies on iPad but haven't yet tried transfering them to another device. I have, however, tried going in the other direction. This worked fine as long as I purchased the movie on the iTunes computer that acted as the primary sync device for the iPad. But when I purchased the movie on another iTunes machine (using the same account info), then copied the movie to another iTunes machine... I ran into problems. The second iTunes machine let me 'move' the movie to the iPad but the iPad refused to play it, saying that the movie was unplayable... without any other explanation. I moved it back to the iTunes computer and 'moved' it to the iPad again. Not until I restarted iTunes and did a third time did it work.

Seems like the DRM on the movies is causing some problems when the file is moved between multiple iTunes machines, even though they are all connected to the Internet and use the same login account details.

I can't wait until iTunes is in the Cloud!

Most reactions

Latest posts