What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Evi as Good as Siri?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
4713-evi.JPG

9to5 Mac has a useful story today for all those iOS users out there who don’t have an iPhone 4S and therefore don’t have Siri, but are looking for a suitable alternative. Commenting on an in-depth report on TechCrunch about the app, 9to5 Mac says that Evi could just be the first genuine Siri competitor out there, amidst a ton of apps that would like to think they have what it takes to out-Siri Siri, but in fact don’t even come close. Evi is powered by True Knowledge’s “core semantic search technologyâ€, or The True Knowledge Answer Engine. The iOS version of Evi uses Nuance voice recognition, the same voice recognition software that powers Siri, whereas the Android version does not, which is why the Android version is free and the iOS version costs $0.99. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]9to5 Mac points out that according to Evi’s iTunes page, Evi is able to return data local to the UK as well as the US, the lack of which function has been a bit of a bugbear for UK iPhone 4S users. True Knowledge says that Evi has “almost a billion ‘facts’ (machine understandable bits of knowledge)â€, as well as the facility to infer trillions. 9to5 Mac says that Evi uses all the sources that you would expect, such as local Yelp results, other third-party websites, regular web searches, and APIs. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]According to TechCrunch, who ran a lengthy feature on Evi, although the app is not yet able to integrate with Calendar and Reminders, unlike Siri, its answers can be more accurate than Siri. TechCrunch cites answers to questions about how to make an apple pie, for example, among other examples. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Click here to download Evi for $0.99:[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evi/id463296609?mt=8[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] For iOS users without Siri, there is Evi | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

paulthefencer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far I've found Evi to be useless. I downloaded it yesterday at around 5.pm. It's now 11 A.M. the next day and it still says it can't connect with it's servers after every question I ask it. So that's .99 cents down the drain. Try the app called "Voice Actions". It works somewhat better. Nothing like Siri based on what I've seen though, but better than nothing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, even less useful than Siri? I find Siri half-baked and gimmicky. I like my 4S for other reasons, though.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The servers being overrun just shows how much interest there is in this type of program. $0.99 is a great way to experience this. To me it looks like the expectations of how much interest there is was way low. I'll bet the company is scrambling to get upgraded to handle the demand and in a couple of weeks (hopefully days) things will be greatly improved. That is my bet, at any rate. I down loaded it and am looking forward to it getting better and better.

I decided not to get a 4s iPhone because my contract is up and didn't want to lock into another two years before finding out what the iPhone 5 will be like. So this Evi could prove a nice diversion while waiting.

wolfwlker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
paulthefencer said:
So far I've found Evi to be useless. I downloaded it yesterday at around 5.pm. It's now 11 A.M. the next day and it still says it can't connect with it's servers after every question I ask it. So that's .99 cents down the drain. Try the app called "Voice Actions". It works somewhat better. Nothing like Siri based on what I've seen though, but better than nothing.

Is there a way to delete questions?

liam08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, even less useful than Siri? I find Siri half-baked and gimmicky. I like my 4S for other reasons, though.

People forget it's still in Beta, albeit an open one. Give it time, everyone knows Apple likes their products to be near perfection.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People forget it's still in Beta, albeit an open one. Give it time, everyone knows Apple likes their products to be near perfection.

I know it's in beta. Doesn't change my opinion.

squarework

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All you have to look at is the comments in the app store about this wonderful app that says it all it sucks it will never be Siri

squarework

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
9to5 Mac has a useful story today for all those iOS users out there who don’t have an iPhone 4S and therefore don’t have Siri, but are looking for a suitable alternative. Commenting on an in-depth report on TechCrunch about the app, 9to5 Mac says that Evi could just be the first genuine Siri competitor out there, amidst a ton of apps that would like to think they have what it takes to out-Siri Siri, but in fact don’t even come close. Evi is powered by True Knowledge’s “core semantic search technology”, or The True Knowledge Answer Engine. The iOS version of Evi uses Nuance voice recognition, the same voice recognition software that powers Siri, whereas the Android version does not, which is why the Android version is free and the iOS version costs $0.99.

9to5 Mac points out that according to Evi’s iTunes page, Evi is able to return data local to the UK as well as the US, the lack of which function has been a bit of a bugbear for UK iPhone 4S users. True Knowledge says that Evi has “almost a billion ‘facts’ (machine understandable bits of knowledge)”, as well as the facility to infer trillions. 9to5 Mac says that Evi uses all the sources that you would expect, such as local Yelp results, other third-party websites, regular web searches, and APIs.

According to TechCrunch, who ran a lengthy feature on Evi, although the app is not yet able to integrate with Calendar and Reminders, unlike Siri, its answers can be more accurate than Siri. TechCrunch cites answers to questions about how to make an apple pie, for example, among other examples.

Click here to download Evi for $0.99: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evi/id463296609?mt=8

Source: For iOS users without Siri, there is Evi | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I also am going to wait for the real deal from Siri from apple nothing compares so far not even evi

Pegasusl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evi is just too buggy. I have no sound from Evi at all on my iPhone 4. Tried to raise a ticket but they send you a link to verify your email...but the link takes you to a dead page! USELESS app....USELESS company!

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having not tried it myself I can't comment too much but since the app store shows a user rating of only 2 stars I'd say Siri might still hold the torch :p

Most reactions

Latest posts