What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple getting ready to launch an 128GB iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Save your money, you can almost guarantee a 250gb version of either the 4 or 5 will no doubt be on its way too, like they did with the playstation and xbox. Its a good way for companies to sell the same model just with an upgrade to memory to shift more units. They knew from the start we would eventually need more than 64gb. They all do it.

Have you got secret insight into iPad redesign or advances in NAND development?

http://m.extremetech.com/extremetec...really-technological,5108184894f4be71693699c4

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Have they released a MBA with 1TB yet? (I think you meant 1TB).

I think they would do that first before putting it in an iPad.

But yeah...eventually.

Yeh, right. Terabyte. :)

That would store a lot of songs, wouldn't it?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
therealriley said:
No but thats my opinion, technology is advancing very quickly and what im saying is i wouldnt be surprised if a 250GB was just around the corner in some time soon in the future. I think its a fair comment.

It's more than fair. They are on a roll lately with new versions, updates, retina displays for the mini, storage, yada, etc. if the 128 sells well then it won't be long at all for a 256 to come out. I bet you're right!

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
s2mikey said:
It's more than fair. They are on a roll lately with new versions, updates, retina displays for the mini, storage, yada, etc. if the 128 sells well then it won't be long at all for a 256 to come out. I bet you're right!

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Big is beautiful. :)

I'm storing TV shows and a few movies on my 64 rig. Would gladly upgrade to 256 or Tera when available.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Big is beautiful. :)

I'm storing TV shows and a few movies on my 64 rig. Would gladly upgrade to 256 or Tera when available.

I'm with you. I have a 3 TB hard drive that I use with my laptop, but I avoid schlepping them unless I can't avoid it. iPads with at least 1 TB would be great.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing I like about delivery -- you get the exact model you want, vs. the store, where you might or might not.

The surprising thing with my iPad 4, they delivered a day before sales officially started at stores. That was was random.

This is true. It will either be in stock available to ship or not and will know when it will be shipped, most times. I feel like the product is fresher coming from the warehouse vs sitting around at the store being handled, who knows ...

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not actually sure what kind of memory the iPad uses...I haven't bothered to look it up...is it the same as a flash card or it is SSD memory?

It uses flash card-type memory, like an SD memory card, just permanently mounted. As far as I know, there's not an SSD drive that's thin enough to fit, in addition to it cutting the battery life by half at least.

The 128GB cards just dropped down to the affordable range for installing in an iPad - which is about half the cost they were 2 years ago when they launched. The 256GB cards should follow the same price curve. They came out in September 2012 with an MSRP of $900 and they're down to $400 now, so we're about 1.5 years away from a 256GB iPad if Apple wants to keep the price point under $1000 and still make their crazy profit margins (which we know they do!).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It uses flash card-type memory, like an SD memory card, just permanently mounted. As far as I know, there's not an SSD drive that's thin enough to fit, in addition to it cutting the battery life by half at least.

The 128GB cards just dropped down to the affordable range for installing in an iPad - which is about half the cost they were 2 years ago when they launched. The 256GB cards should follow the same price curve. They came out in September 2012 with an MSRP of $900 and they're down to $400 now, so we're about 1.5 years away from a 256GB iPad if Apple wants to keep the price point under $1000 and still make their crazy profit margins (which we know they do!).

It's hard to predict price trends for NAND flash, which is sold in contracts negotiated months in advance, with suppliers and buyers agreeing on price and delivery. If the suppliers were able to predict trends effectively last year, prices wouldn't have dropped on them like they did. To correct supply, makers sometimes cut production, like Toshiba did last year, by 30 percent. These are commodities, so price and production are moving targets, along with advances in the tech itself.

mahall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I respect Apple! And they know way more than I do about such decisions. I just feel this was uncharacteristic timing on an option that nobody was really demanding!! If they would have rolled a 4th memory option out with the next upgrade it would have been so "Apple"! I didn't mean to cause a feud!! peace and Apple.for life!!

mahall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
therealriley said:
Save your money, you can almost guarantee a 250gb version of either the 4 or 5 will no doubt be on its way too, like they did with the playstation and xbox. Its a good way for companies to sell the same model just with an upgrade to memory to shift more units. They knew from the start we would eventually need more than 64gb. They all do it.

More is better!! Guess I don't get it!! I go down in memory with each upgrade

mahall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A.K said:
Now I feel like a child just having a 16 gb ipad2 :rolleyes: :D

I go down in memory, with each upgrade!! Thanks to that beautiful cloud!!

mahall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad 128GB wifi+cellular $929+ AppleCare $100+ case $100 at least+ tax $67.74> nearly $1200.00 dollars for a tablet?? Really?? No thanks, you people go for it!! I will stay with my old outdated dinosaur(ipad2)32GB!! And enjoy it just the same!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad 128GB wifi+cellular $929+ AppleCare $100+ case $100 at least+ tax $67.74> nearly $1200.00 dollars for a tablet?? Really?? No thanks, you people go for it!! I will stay with my old outdated dinosaur(ipad2)32GB!! And enjoy it just the same!!

To me, the outrageous part of that equation is at least $100 for a case, lol. I spent like six bucks on the TPU case for my iPad 4. No AppleCare, either, thanks. For less than the $200+ you allotted, I'd get double the GBs instead. But your money is yours to spend as you like, of course. Glad we all get to make our own choices.

mahall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol well most, I would think would want to purchase AppleCare with such a pricey investment!! And same for the case!! You can put way more than 100 in a case and u don't have to look far to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts