What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple getting ready to launch an 128GB iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really, the argument that it's extra gear is a little spurious. A 2.5" drive is not that bulky, and unless you are carrying your iPad around in your hand everywhere you go, I'm sure you've got some kind of a case for it. It probably even has side pockets in it. But sure, if you've got $800 or $900 or more to throw around, then be my guest, you can have whatever you want. Most of the rest of us don't have that luxury, so in light of that I wouldn't mind the slight inconvenience of having to pack one extra piece of gear in my case. Before the iPad, it was my laptop, a much bulkier affair to be sure, so it's a matter of perspective, I guess.

I think the 'some instances' in which the pass-through wouldn't work that you refer to involve using the 4G cellular connection, but in most instances, who's going to use their data plan while streaming a huge movie file? For travel purposes, most airlines offer wi-fi, so for me this is not really an issue.

There is one thing that I would have liked to see included on the model I bought, however, and that is stereo speakers. I'm not sure why Apple opted to put a mono speaker in the iPad series when other tablet makers are selling models that do have stereo speakers. Maybe the 128 GB model will have that, as well.

The good thing is, we don't all have to agree on what to buy, because the market is offering us choices. There's no right or wrong purchase, except what works for the individual.

For me, I'm not interested in carrying around extra gear on the go, so 128GBs sounds great. Even more storage would be even better, as long as it fits my budget.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really, the argument that it's extra gear is a little spurious. A 2.5" drive is not that bulky, and unless you are carrying your iPad around in your hand everywhere you go, I'm sure you've got some kind of a case for it. It probably even has side pockets in it. But sure, if you've got $800 or $900 or more to throw around, then be my guest, you can have whatever you want. Most of the rest of us don't have that luxury, so in light of that I wouldn't mind the slight inconvenience of having to pack one extra piece of gear in my case. Before the iPad, it was my laptop, a much bulkier affair to be sure, so it's a matter of perspective, I guess.

I think the 'some instances' in which the pass-through wouldn't work that you refer to involve using the 4G cellular connection, but in most instances, who's going to use their data plan while streaming a huge movie file? For travel purposes, most airlines offer wi-fi, so for me this is not really an issue.

There is one thing that I would have liked to see included on the model I bought, however, and that is stereo speakers. I'm not sure why Apple opted to put a mono speaker in the iPad series when other tablet makers are selling models that do have stereo speakers. Maybe the 128 GB model will have that, as well.

Do you understand what YMMV means? If you did, you would not have bothered to write all of this. Do what you want....no one is standing in your way. Just don't expect everyone to see things they way you do.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Judging the price of iPad 128 gb, think they made that memory of gold. :)

Sent from my iPad 4

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is much needed for the ipad, 128gb of storage would be really good! 64gb is good though so I wont buy it just for the storage, will wait for the next few upgrades when better hardware is added as well as having more storage.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MILJAN said:
Judging the price of iPad 128 gb, think they made that memory of gold. :)

Sent from my iPad 4

It Is only 100.00 more than the 64GB and the 64GB 100.00 more than the 32GB....

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I've read the press release on the Apple website, so I'd imagine that 128 GB is coming sooner than later. Isn't Feb. 5th the official date?

Yes

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
It Is only 100.00 more than the 64GB and the 64GB 100.00 more than the 32GB....

Only? Market price for that memory is much,much lower.

Sent from my iPad 4

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MILJAN said:
Only? Market price for that memory is much,much lower.

Sent from my iPad 4

I have to agree here. Storage is a little pricey on these things. But, it is what it is.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to agree here. Storage is a little pricey on these things. But, it is what it is.

It is true....anyone know what memory iPad uses? Not all memory is the same. Some being much faster than other.

mahall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it's not wanted or needed by the masses!! There will be a few professionals who think they need the storage!! And half of them will say they didn't need it after purchasing!! I think 64 or even 32 is sufficient for main stream IPad owners!! With the cloud and iTunes Match who really needs 128?? And yes 128 with Cellular network will approach 1000 dollars!! To much money for a foolish luxury that will likely never be used or needed!! I would Much rather see Apple continue to improve there existing devices! After all that is there trademark; better,faster, and more durable!! My take on this foolish idea!! APPLE FOR LIFE-:)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it's not wanted or needed by the masses!! There will be a few professionals who think they need the storage!! And half of them will say they didn't need it after purchasing!! I think 64 or even 32 is sufficient for main stream IPad owners!! With the cloud and iTunes Match who really needs 128?? And yes 128 with Cellular network will approach 1000 dollars!! To much money for a foolish luxury that will likely never be used or needed!! I would Much rather see Apple continue to improve there existing devices! After all that is there trademark; better,faster, and more durable!! My take on this foolish idea!! APPLE FOR LIFE-:)

My take on it is, if you can't afford or need it, don't buy it. It's foolish to assume what others need or can afford. There are a lot of people who'd say it's foolish to buy an iPad at all, lol.

And if you can't afford one, are you really a good judge of how someone who can afford it spends their money?

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are a gamer like me and like your music and comics all on the device and do not want to rely on the cloud, 128gb rocks.

As far as external, that like the cloud consumes more battery power and apps need internal storage.

That said, I can see the other points, but folks should not impose there own preferences as a standard.

If I did not already have an iPad 3 64gb, I would be buy this tomorrow. Especially with iMame and a full rom set of playable games (on the iPad 3 and 4) is about 20gb in size. That and the iCade is a great combination.

Heck, if I knew the iPad 4 would perform a lot better with iMame, I might sell my iPad 3 and get the 128gb iPad 4.

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Video as well. I like it all on one device and no need to app juggle our cloud download. For folks that like the cloud, that is your choice to make.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Myself, if they made a 4TB iPad that cost $5000, I'd buy it.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
My take on it is, if you can't afford or need it, don't buy it. It's foolish to assume what others need or can afford. There are a lot of people who'd say it's foolish to buy an iPad at all, lol.

And if you can't afford one, are you really a good judge of how someone who can afford it spends their money?

Agreed, there is certainly a good sized buyer pool that will use and appreciate that much storage. I'm not that guy, but I can see people using it. Music and video are likely in heavy use if you do need that much storage. Unless there are some other things that take up that much? I know that apps can get numerous but I tend to only have a handful in heavy rotation so to speak. I remove apps that I don't touch for months on end. You can always re-download them should to get the itch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts