What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is Apple customising the 4G iPad country wise ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is the iFixit iPad teardown. They managed to get it a day ahead by going to Australia and doing the deed there.

iPad 3 4G Teardown - iFixit

I've only read the first page so far; then I remembered your question. It appears that the iPad is one of the the same 4G model that will be sold in the the U.S: However there is a warning on the back that says the 4G will not work in Australia.

Unless I find something to contradict this further in the article, this would mean that Apple has not created specific models for countries that do not have LTE. So it looks like you'll have a mostly useless LTE radio. The good news is that if you come vacationing in the U.S. you'll be able to get a 4G LTE SIM and use it here.

Update: It shows the LTE chip in Step 17, third page. It is also the 3G chip, which would be why Apple includes LTE in the overseas models. The price difference between the 3G only chips and 4G/3G chips probably isn't enough to make up for extra logistics and bulk discounts.

Last edited:
OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is the iFixit iPad teardown. They managed to get it a day ahead by going to Australia and doing the deed there.

iPad 3 4G Teardown - iFixit

I've only read the first page so far; then I remembered your question. It appears that the iPad is one of the the same 4G model that will be sold in the the U.S: However there is a warning on the back that says the 4G will not work in Australia.

Unless I find something to contradict this further in the article, this would mean that Apple has not created specific models for countries that do not have LTE. So it looks like you'll have a mostly useless LTE radio. The good news is that if you come vacationing in the U.S. you'll be able to get a 4G LTE SIM and use it here.

Update: It shows the LTE chip in Step 17, third page. It is also the 3G chip, which would be why Apple includes LTE in the overseas models. The price difference between the 3G only chips and 4G/3G chips probably isn't enough to make up for extra logistics and bulk discounts.

Hey Thanks Man !! That was a Great Read !

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently a few European teleco's have been getting shirty with apple for selling it in Europe as a 4g model.
Until it settles down here in the uk, I think I'll stay with wifi and tether...

Most reactions

Latest posts