What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 in the uk

tyssul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi just joined ipf. Going to uk next week and would appreciate tips on how to get my 3G ipad2 to work over there without running up huge charges. Thanks in anticipation.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - not sure which country you're in now but let me assume it's the US. In the US there are two models of iPad available - the AT&T and the Verizon model. Only the AT&T model will work.

You can easily buy a microSIM in the UK for your iPad while you're here. The UK has the most deregulated mobile phone system in the world probably!! Just walk into any mobile phone shop - they're everywhere and ask for a PAYG (pay as you go) microSIM - pay your money - cash or credit card (all types accepted) and, within a couple of minutes you're out the door and surfing the net. Unlike some countries, in the UK they don't want to know anything about you - they just want your money!!

Personally, I'd recommend the mobile operator '3' (yes, their name is just a number) because their network is 100% 3G - i.e. no slow GPRS or EDGE and they have great plans that suit casual short-term usage.

But the bottom line is that, in the UK, competition is very very fierce between the many many operators - probably close to a dozen - and so the prices are very keen. I have an unlimited '3' contract - their so-called 'All you can eat' offering.

I hope you have a great visit to the UK and visit Scotland, where I live, if you can. It's even turned out sunny again today!!

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello to you! The weather in Somerset is hot, hot, hot! Good news for you after all Tim.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

OP
T

tyssul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes in the US and have ATT model. Might not make it to Scotland this trip but love Edinburgh.

Most reactions

Latest posts