What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 factory battery charger questions

Cobra Jet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is in reference to the actual, physical, white "plug" that comes w/ the iPad2....

I've noticed that my iPad 2 charger (plug) is getting extremely hot while it is charging my iPad. I also have noticed that it seems to be taking quite some time for the actual iPad to get fully charged to 100% capacity too.

Has anyone actually held, or has felt their "plug" while it is plugged into a wall outlet and while charging their iPad? Is it normal for these to get hot to the touch?

The charger for my iPhone 4 never gets warm, and my phone seems to charge rather quickly. I know there's a difference between an iPad battery and iPhone battery, such as capacity, amps/volts, etc and also a difference in type of factory plugs used for charging - but what is concerning me is the fact that the plug for my iPad seems to be getting abnormally warm (hot to the touch).

It also does not matter what outlet it has been plugged into either, as I have switched outlets and also used other outlets other than my home.

***** The iPad never gets warm and has been functioning 100% without issues....

Anyone?

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Phil.
Mine doesn't get too hot - unless I do back-to-back charging with several devices. However, while charging at my parents place on the weekend, I noted that my mothers unit got very hot.
I wonder if it's to do with the wall-jack?

I look forward to seeing how many others have this issue...

celcomms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 charger will get very warm during the charging process and as the iPad 2 becomes near to fully charged the charger will start to cool down, this is due to the heavy current pull on the charger whilst charging and is quite normal in most equipment that requires charging. The difference between charging the iPad 2 and iPhone is that the iPhone battery is a much lower amperage than the iPad and therefore will only get slightly warm compared with the iPad 2 charger.

OzLing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone draws up to 1 amp in power whereas the iPad 2 needs 2 amps. This will heat up the transformer in the charger.

OP
C

Cobra Jet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies and reassurance that the charging characteristics of the plug are normal.

:thumbs: :)

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine too. At first I was really worried and brought it to Apple store and the rep said it's normal for it to get warm. Mine gets hot sometimes, but does cool off later in the charge.

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't noticed mine getting hot. However, it does make sense somewhat, because the iPhone charger puts out half as much energy as the iPad. I believe the iPad is 10w, and the iPhone is 5w...

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And your phone should take less time to charge because the battery is smaller, but also know that with smartphones, even of it appears to be fully charged, it often times is not. I think I've read that apple recommends 8 hours of charging for a full charge.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts