What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs laptop

ConnorS92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only things missing on iPad are Flash player and a USB port other than that there pretty similar, iPads are thinner then most laptops makes it easier for travel. There are also cheaper than most laptops. Most other things that you can do on a laptop that you can't do on an iPad are easy to get round as there are hundreds of apps that will sort this problem out (Pages and Numbers instead of Word or Xcel.)

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... I type slower on an iPad than I do on a laptop, so for me, I wouldn't say that the iPad can completely replace the laptop. Plus, all my favorite MMORPGs can only be played on my laptop.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is never suppose to take the place of a laptop, IMHO it's not the purpose. It's just another tool we can use for business or as in my case, pleasure.

I will say this though if you purchase a bluetooth wireless keyboard and pair it with your iPad it does make that typing much easier. But that's another way it's good because there are times when you don't want to use the wireless keyboard and prefer using the keyboard that comes with the iPad.

I've had my iPad for 5 months now and I absolutely love it. Good updates, great for listening to music. Heck since mine is wifi only I don't even load music into it I just use an app that plays my files straight from my itunes.

I suppose some people can find them business friendly but they are definitely not replacements for laptops.

arci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i carry my ipad outside more than my laptop..so it helps me a lot if i need to edit and send reports..but i wish there would be a better apps to edit excel..

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to have both since I don't want a desktop at home and have to travel for work fairly often. I need a laptop to do real work (writing, data analysis etc).

But I hate a laptop for web surfing on the couch, reading PDFs etc. which is where a tablet comes in.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is not a Laptop replacement. The Laptop/PC will still be required for most of your serious computing. I use my PC/Laptop for managing all of my media, storing important files, pictures, video/picture editing, etc.

However, if all you use a computer for is emails, browsing, watch media.... then an iPad can certainly take the place of a Laptop.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
However, if all you use a computer for is emails, browsing, watch media.... then an iPad can certainly take the place of a Laptop.

The iPad is the computer equivalent of the Smart Fortwo - it's detractors will quickly give you a laundry list of its shortcomings, but when you dig deeper you discover that 95% of the time it does everything they need.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad is the computer equivalent of the Smart Fortwo - it's detractors will quickly give you a laundry list of its shortcomings, but when you dig deeper you discover that 95% of the time it does everything they need.

Very true point.

I thought that I would not have much use for an iPad while I was at home (I purchased it because it was the best portable media player, that 10 hour battery is sweet). It wasn't long before I stopped picking up my laptop and started using my iPad more and more.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i definitely planning on using my laptop for syncing and late night papers...but the new mobile me may replace even syncing...YAY IPAD

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tote my iPad to seminars just like I have a netbook and laptop, and because of all the apps, it ends up doing more for me. I don't even bring the charger with me half the time either-a huge plus. So better than laptop.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since getting my iPad back in May of last year, I've used it exclusively for everything as a mobile device except for some specific applications requiring a PC. My laptop is now the backup machine to my desktop and also a camera controller unit for my astrophotography or telescope controller. I still use my desktop a lot for many things but my ipad is THE device I use most and I use it heavily each day. I'm not all that crazy about the on-screen keyboard (especially in portrait mode...landscape is much better), but it's convenient for light input. I got an Apple wireless keyboard and it works beautifully with the iPad and I use that for some lengthy input at times, especially using any of the writing, journaling and poetry apps I have on the iPad.

One thought I did have...if I ever went minimalistic...literally got rid of just about 90% of everything, I'd keep the iPad, keyboard and do all of my storage in the cloud. The only hitch is you really HAVE to have a PC (or Mac) to do backups and device updates. So, I'd still have to keep the laptop stashed away somewhere.

But the point is, this iPad can do SO much stuff it's unbelievable. Flash is dead to me and I don't miss it. USB support would be nice, but it's not absolutely essential.

It's just...the coolest tech device. Ever.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zorah said:
I tote my iPad to seminars just like I have a netbook and laptop, and because of all the apps, it ends up doing more for me. I don't even bring the charger with me half the time either-a huge plus. So better than laptop.

Oh yeah...I was in Safeway the other day for an extended lunch while my car was being serviced. There I was, eating a sandwich and watching the NCAA tournament on my iPad resting on its stand, relaxing in a corner. I watched a few people walk into the dining area with laptop and AC adapter/cables in hand, looking and jockeying for spots close to AC sockets. I am SO glad I can pull 10-12 hours of runtime on this thing....and sit wherever I want. That's super cool when it's really nice outside where power outlets aren't even available. I pretty much don't even travel with my charging gear anymore, and that's a dream come true! The built-in 3G is a huge plus. The form factor, the battery runtime and the built-in 3G are the three main reasons why I got the iPad.

Just me and my iPad....it's a beautiful relationship.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions