What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs iTunes on Windows and iTunes on Apple

lionman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi !

One more question :)

I have noticed yesterday that when I tried to sync my daughters iPod on my company windows laptop , iTunes give me a message indicating that that the iPod was formatted on "Mac format" and not on "windows format".

The question is: can I sync the iPad both on my Macbook Pro and on my company windows PC using iTunes ?

Thanks !

bobtomay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just one of those things to help keep the honest folks honest and prevent piracy.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hm. I didn't know that!

That seems to work with iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, but not with other iPods:

Additional Information
Using an iPod formatted for Macintosh on a Windows computer is not supported. Using an iPod formatted for Windows on a Macintosh computer is not supported. Learn how to determine your iPod's hard disk format.*To change the iPod format, restore your iPod using iTunes.*iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) cannot have their disk format modified, but will work on both Windows and Macintosh computers.*Find more information on managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

Last edited:

bobtomay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only problem with that, if you're syncing Audiobooks or ebooks, that manually manage won't work. When you go to try and sync books with manually manage selected, you get a message saying it is going to delete all of your music. Unless they fixed it in 10.1.

Use to use only manually manage myself. With the advent iBooks and the separation of books from your music, that functionality was essentially broken.

If you're not syncing any books, it may be ok.

edit: Just tried it on my iPhone. Looks like it did get fixed with 10.1. You can now move ebooks and audiobooks manually to your device.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is good to know. I don't do audio books, but my primary use for my iPad is for reading stuff.

OP
L

lionman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok

ok. As far as I understood the windows iTunes vs OSX iTunes is not an issue with the iPad. Correct ?

Sync with 2 PCs seems more than reasonable for me. I use my macbook pro at home and a regular windows xp at my work. It would be great beeing abel to sunc with both.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally you can only sync to one computer regardless of Mac or Windows.

Just one of those things to help keep the honest folks honest and prevent piracy.

Just wanted to point out that both of these statements are wrong, so we don't cause confusion/grief to new users. You can share an iTunes account on up to five computers and you can sync your iOS devices to any of those as stated above.

Most reactions

Latest posts