What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad thinks I'm not in the UK

RobertLanlwyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having problems running the BBC iPlayer on my iPad. Whether I use the app or access the iPlayer site with Safari, when I try to play a TV episode it tells me it won't work because I am outside the UK. I'm not outside the UK.

iPlayer works fine on my desktop with Firefox.

The BBC says it is my ISP's fault because it is routing my service through a non-UK site. My ISP says it can't be their fault because iPlayer works on my desktop.

Any ideas?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

I don't know if it helps, but it's worth a try, and you won't lose settings when you do this:
Go to App Store - Featured. Scroll down to your Apple ID and sign out. Then sign in again(use existing Apple ID).

Afterwards, open BBC iPlayer again. Maybe it will work as expected.

If this doesn't help, just post again, and we'll find a way to get it working again.

OP
R

RobertLanlwyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that's what I call great service. It works now. Thank you so much. I don't suppose you could give me some idea why it works?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose you followed a website link to an app from another country's store. You changed to the other App Store without noticing it.
That made your iPad "think" you're not in the UK.

I'm glad it worked.

Last edited:

Katlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am having problems with BBC iPlayer on my iPad Air. I have just tried the solution above but unfortunately it has not worked for me. Strangely I had no problem with it from when I first bought my iPad in March until last Sunday when it refused to let me stream live or download programmes. It works fine on my iPhone 5s. ITV iPlayer tells me I am not in the UK. I live in Worcestershire. It won't work in Warrington either. Any other ideas for solving the problem will be gratefully received.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Supposedly this happens because of your IP address.

Try restarting your Wi-Fi router.
If possible, access the app from a different network.
Contact your service provider, as suggested in the first post. Ask if your IP address is located in the UK.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Supposedly this happens because of your IP address.

Try restarting your Wi-Fi router.
If possible, access the app from a different network.
Contact your service provider, as suggested in the first post. Ask if your IP address is located in the UK.

You might try forgetting the network and re-connecting also

Katlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved. My son helped me with this. I downloaded a VPN from Apple App Store. It was routing all my stuff through servers in Istanbul. As soon as I turned off the VPN problem was solved. I didn't think of it as a solution because initially BBC iPlayer worked fine. It was only after recent update that it stopped working. I will now look for a VPN app that uses servers in the UK.

Hope this might help someone else.

Most reactions

Latest posts