What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad outgoing email advice... It's set up, that's not the issue

xpesrx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Guys - -
Weird question probably. I have set up my outgoing email according what I've seen for Gmail. Which works great... I can send emails and they show up at the destination.

The problem is, I just want to use Gmail's outgoing server, I want to use my own email address. When I send email using Gmail's server, it comes up as if it came from my Gmail account and not my own domain email address.

My domain doesn't have an outgoing email server.... On the iphone it's not an issue, it goes through cmwx.com or whatever it is... but with the iPad WiFi only.. I cant use that outgoing server....

Any suggestions?

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, did you go to: Settings>Mail>Add Account>Other>Filled in the Details?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Guys - -
Weird question probably. I have set up my outgoing email according what I've seen for Gmail. Which works great... I can send emails and they show up at the destination.

The problem is, I just want to use Gmail's outgoing server, I want to use my own email address. When I send email using Gmail's server, it comes up as if it came from my Gmail account and not my own domain email address.

My domain doesn't have an outgoing email server.... On the iphone it's not an issue, it goes through cmwx.com or whatever it is... but with the iPad WiFi only.. I cant use that outgoing server....

Any suggestions?

I think I understand your problem. When you're using 3G on your iPhone the server lets you send email because it can authenticate your identity whereas, from the iPad using WiFi, it has no way of checking who you are. The so-called 'Port 25 relay' problem. Does your service provider support SSL and Port 465 authentication? I'm assuming the answer is probably 'no' and that's why you're using Gmail. I have the same problem with my service provider and have adopted the same solution and have the same problem! My workaround is to automatically forward all received Gmail to my service provider's email server - well, it's not really a workaround I guess. But, if you haven't done, it might be worth checking if your service provider supports authenticated email sending - then the problem goes away....

Tim

OP
X

xpesrx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Frost I've set up everything like you say here and it works...wroking/function isn't really the issue.....

Yes Tim, that's exactly right...and I've done that too...for receiving mail.... the problem I have is that I want all mail to appear to come from my domain email address and not gmail....even though I used their outgoing server... normally I can just set the "reply to" or "description" settings to my domain email address.... but I dont see those options on the ipad... and my efforts to put it in the description of the POP section didnt help it at all

Most reactions