What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad, no sim-card installed

hatemjapo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have an ipad 1st generation, which i havent used in a year. Its a version with 3G.

Today, i wanted to use the ipad again. When i turned it on it just says "no simcard installed" and i cant do anything else. At the top of the screen it says "Wctivate with itunes". I connected the device to my pc and opened itunes. But the ipad is secured with a password and i cant insert it on the ipad because it only says "no simcard installed" and i really cant do anyting else.

btw, there is no simcard in the ipad!

what can i do? how can i use it again... i have some data on it that i need....

OP
H

hatemjapo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thx for replying, but this is not helping me, i dont want to restore it, and i havent forgot my pin, its just that the error msg with "no sim card installed" is not going away and i am not coming to the screen where i can insert my pin

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry!

Try the usual fixes when something doesn't work as it should: restart and reset your iPad.

Restart: turn off your iPad, then turn it on again.
Reset (won't remove settings or data): press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let the iPad power up on it's own. If this doesn't help at first, try it a second or third time.

Do you use a case with your iPad? If so, take it off. Maybe this is the reason for that message.

I hope this will help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad should work without a SIM card installed, mine has for over 2 years. Have you tried ejecting and replacing the SIM card holder in case it's not seated properly?

Reaction score
My iPad also came with no SIM installed. In Settings, The “use cellular data” option is greyed out. It will connect to my WiFi, but if I’m out of range or on the move, I have no cellular alternative. Presumably I need to go to my local (in my case EE) shop and get them to put a SIM in it so that I can use cellular data?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad also came with no SIM installed. In Settings, The “use cellular data” option is greyed out. It will connect to my WiFi, but if I’m out of range or on the move, I have no cellular alternative. Presumably I need to go to my local (in my case EE) shop and get them to put a SIM in it so that I can use cellular data?
Yes, a SIM card and a cellular data plan would be necessary to use the cellular feature of your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts