What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Newb here from NC

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings Earthlings!!!

Names Jim and I am the proud new owner of an iPad 64 w/ 3g.

Dont have it in my hands yet as Apple wont ship till Aug 12 but i am ready!

Currently looking at the following apps:
Star walk
Real Racing
Epicurius ??Spelling??
Google Earth
Need recommendations for GPS
Solitare
Elements
NPR
Reuters
X-Plane
Marvel
Currently have on my 32 and my 64 iPod that i would liket o know if they will work on iPad:
Moon Globe
NFSU
X-Plane Extreme (Yeah I know im buying the big one)
Playmaker for Buzztime
Hypnotoad
Labrynth 3D
Cro-Mag Rally
and iFighter

Thanks All!!!

Metairieman55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apps

I have a Windows Home Server and a regular computer, so I'm using Ipad 32 Wifi for travel or reclining in bed :eek: while the Clydesdales pull my wagon on games, multimedia and general computing. So I'll comment on the useful things I use strictly for the pad. Most are free in the App Store with a couple of exceptions.

Free

Friendly-Facebook Browser
IMDB Movies
Movies (Flickster)
Weather Channel
Yellowpages
Google Earth-seems to function much like a GPS. It recognized my exact location on its own when I fired it up so teamed up with Google maps . . . There are a couple of GPS Apps (paid) which may team up with your 3G for that purpose. Not sure if a sexy gal tells you to turn left in 300 ft but I'll rely on my Magellan for that.

Paid

LastPass Tab Browser-I have been using Roboform for years to store/create/synch passwords but they haven't developed an Ipad version yet. LPTB offers a free version with online synch and the $1/month Pro version for other stuff I don't really need like for IPhone, Blackberry and other things.

Private Media Folders-The pad doesn't have a "file system" (or I haven't figured it out yet!) and stores--let's say--picture/movie files generically without a folder structure, just lumped together in its respective folder. This is my first venture into the Mac universe but I'm sure their regular OS works like Windows and allows folders. Anyway, PMFHD does allow me to segregate media into sub-folders within the app with the added feature of "locking" out prying eyes with a password. It is separate from the native Ipad folder structure. Writing over pics and movies from within ITunes (in case you didn't know is the engine you will use to initialize and maintain your IPad so download it to your desktop machine while you're waiting!) points them to the specific Ipad folder. Unlike a "real" OS, you have no choice unless you're using PMFHD. And even PMFHD imports blindly into its main folder from there you will cut and paste to your created folder(s).

Have fun with your new toy. I am.

Metairieman55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, be careful of apps designed for other than Ipad. They will work but most I downloaded work in their native size not Ipad size. They work but size is everything to me . . . ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts