What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad help needed! Ipad has a life of its own.

ajyjfp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help with my new iPad Air. It has recently begun having a life of its own, swiping left to right/tapping places on the screen without any input from me. This happens regardless of the case being on or off. The screen is clean, the iPad is new and this problem is occurring randomly throughout the day. Please view my problem in my two YouTube links.

I am currently abroad for work and therefore am not in a position to plug my iPad into iTunes, nor in a position to take it in to the Apple Store.

Any ideas on what could be the problem, and how to go about fixing it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, you definitely have troubles! Sorry.

Of course, the best solutions are to (1) try to restore a fresh iOS 7.0.4 on it, using iTunes. Or, (2), take it to the Apple store for them to fix it or replace it.

Since those are not options you can do right now, the only suggestion I have is to fully close all apps and then try a restart or reset (or both). To do (apologies if you know):

Fully Close an App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons and cards in the multi-tasking viewer. Swipe up on all the cards until they are all gone.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Hopefully, that'll fix it. If not, I'm afraid it's a trip to the Apple store or iTunes for you. We've seen this happen before [here at this forum]. The only solution I remember was that the person got a replacement.

Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the restart or reset will help. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

P.S. And where are my manners?! Welcome to the forum - it's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Call the Ghostbusters lol j/k :D Seriously though Mickey gave some good advice there!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If none of Marilyn's suggestions work, it's likely you have a defective touchscreen which is generations spurious commands. The only solution, if it is a defective touchscreen is a screen replacement. This should be covered under the normal warranty as it would be a hardware issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One other possibility. If the behavior is only when the iPad is plugged into power, sometime a bad electrical ground can generate random screen events. Or at least it used to on the iPad 1. I haven't heard of any complaints of that nature for quite a wile.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Benibiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem.... I managed to backup my iPad to cloud, then went to settings and reset it by clicking on reset and erase all content and settings. I then restored it from my cloud backup and it's good to go now or so far at least. It only took about 10 minutes to do the whole thing.

I tried all the other resets and restarts, none worked like the above does. There may have been something corrupt in the software.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts