What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad connects to Wi-Fi but I can't access the internet

m8214

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad connects to Wi-Fi but I can't access the internet. This happened suddenly when i was working on my ipad. I can't access my emails or internet using safari. this message pops up in Safari -> "Safari couldnt open the page because the server stopped responding"

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked your wireless router? It may be that it needs a reboot to start working properly again. In addition, have you checked with your ISP to see if there is something wrong at there end?

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--just to add to what Marilyn has stated, my ISP is through Comcast. Earlier this month we received notification to update our modem to support DOCSIS 3.0 prior to October 30, otherwise, our modem would not work. So today, we have done just that and switched out our 8 year old modem to a Motorola surfboard extreme.

Just food for thought here.

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad connects to Wi-Fi but I can't access the internet. This happened suddenly when i was working on my ipad. I can't access my emails or internet using safari. this message pops up in Safari -> "Safari couldnt open the page because the server stopped responding"
Hi! Welcome to iPF. Like you, I had also been experiencing similar problems around a month ago. It would connect with full signal, but would not connect and give me the same message which you receive. Most of the time, I have solved it by making the iPad 'forget' the network and then restart the iPad, but sometimes, it did NOT work. Hope you find this helpful and have a good time on iPF. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the other solutions don't work, you could try resetting the router.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
yes i did check it

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Not sure what you mean by the statement above? How did you check it & what did you do? There have been multiple excellent comments and suggestions, but to re-emphasize, please 'power recycle' your modem and router (if separate devices), i.e. pull the power (or turn off the switch if present) - wait about 30 seconds, then re-power your modem first, wait again, and re-power your router - see if that helps. I re-power my modem several times a week which invariably gets us reconnected to the internet - good luck! Dave

jevans6525

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have power cycled the modem/router from Comcast. I have power cycled the IPad, I have had the Ipad forget the network and re-establish connectivity. The Ipad can talk over wireless network to router because I can login to router from browser window in Ipad. Strange though the Ipad does not show up in the list of connected devices by the router. The router was upgraded a week ago but it didn't have a problem then, just as of today. I am sure it was working after the upgrade. The Ipad is at version 7.0.3 (11B511). In the General, Network menu I cannot click on Network but the Iphone 4, that is a clickable setting. Not sure if relevant or not. Any suggestions appreciated.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can, try to identify the IP number of your various wifi devices. Any with the same IP will not work if they both try to connect to the router at the same time.
If you can't find the IPs, turn one device off and see if the other(s) can connect.
You can sometimes get the user ID and Password off the bottom of your router. If you type http://192.168.1.1 you should open you router control panel. Be careful what you do in it!
One of the panes there will show which devices are connected and what their IP numbers are. In some cases you can select the IP for your devices and avoid conflicts. You don't do this in the router control panel. You do it through some other preference panes or system preferences. The last number should be anything from 2 to 255.

jevans6525

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said I was able to login to the router over wireless network. Long story short, I was able to determine with 100% certainty that the problem lied within the Comcast gateway/router. I considered going to Comcast and getting new one, but as a last resort I did a factory reset on the gateway (which turned out to not be all that painful) and everything was fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts