What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and news/magazines

linasennevall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I'm a journalism student i London and i'm currently working on an essay about the iPad and news.
So my question to you is:
What do you think about reading news/magazines on the iPad?
Is it almost similar to holding a print version in your hand?
Is it better or worse?
What do you like about reading news on the iPad?

Thanks for your help!

Lina

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Thanks for your interesting set of question to iPad Forum members; I'm sure you'll receive a whole range of equally interesting answers. Remember that the membership is world-wide, so you might need to wait at least 24 hours before everyone has had an opportunity to read your post.

I'm not sure if you have an iPad yourself - but, if you do, I hope you enjoy looking around the Forum.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I always read the news on my iPad.
Use pulse reader and set to UK and US dailys.
Much easier to read than a paper, faster selection of articles and able to take notes/save for later etc.. Also able to follow up items through google search and Wikipedia.
Better experience all round. Easier to handle, view and much greater range of information.

Negative aspects of papers is smudgy print ( dirty fingers) awkward size and needs a windless environment to read comfortably. Also excessive amount of popularist articles which are better suited to magazines.

Not worried if I never see another newspaper........
Your industry is facing massive disruptive change and appears to confused how best to respond. A bit like scribes versus Gutenberg. Murdoch versus Google.
Journalists will continue to be needed but will have to adapt and embrace new technology.
Good luck........

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you think about reading news/magazines on the iPad?
I haven't bought a piece of printed media since I bought my ipad.

Is it almost similar to holding a print version in your hand?
No.

Is it better or worse?
Better.

What do you like about reading news on the iPad?
You only have to carry one device to have unlimited news that is constantly updated.

I can go to any website I want and read the news that is updated as fast as it's humanly possible. For example, when the earthquake hit Japan, I was the first one in my circle of friends to know about it. I'm also the only one that has an ipad. With apples Daily news app you are kept up to date every single day. It's exactly like a newspaper in every way, but doesn't have the same downfall as a traditional newspaper. I don't have any magazine subscriptions on the ipad yet; because I don't feel the same pricing structure as printed articles is fair.

I'll be able to reply in more detail later on as I'm at work now. I'll put some more effort in this for you and hopefully help you out some with your research.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Should add my default browser page is a personalized google news which is updated fairly fast.

Berghammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Der Spiegel

I have a subscription to Der Spiegel. It downloads to the Der Spiegel app every Saturday night at 2230 Central European Time - the hard copy goes in the mail and in stores the following Monday. Since it's downloaded, I don't need an online connection once it downloads. What you get is all of the content of the print edition, plus a half dozen or so videos as well as numerous background articles.

As you know, Der Spiegel is one of the world's great news organizations with a huge editorial staff. I read somewhere that their research staff is the largest of any news magazine or newspaper worldwide. I don't know if that's true or not - they are even more reluctant to talk about their own organization than The Economist (the premier English language news magazine in my view).

I suspect this may be the wave of the future, given the convenience of having my magazine (and any back issue I want to read) right there on my iPad.

From what I've seen, most of what is free online comes from online editions of existing publications (money losers all) or conglomerations lifted with or without attribution from those online sources. Clearly, an unsustainable economic model that's going to have to evolve. Der Spiegel and The Economist (which aalso has an app) both seem to have worked out a viable solution, although Der Spiegel certainly seems to have invested more wisely in software engineers.

Whew! I need to get a wireless keyboard for my iPad. :(

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since we're still in the transitional stage between print and digital, I still read two print newspapers over breakfast, even though the news is old. There are articles of interest to peruse, local news, etc. But throughout the day and all evening I'm glued to my iPad reading RSS feeds on River of News, Huff Po, BBC, CNN, etc. which allow YOU to choose the stories you want without waiting for the broadcast order. Won't miss the bulky, awkward newspaper when digital completely replaces it.

OP
L

linasennevall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Daily?

Thanks for all the answers guys!
Has anyone had a look at Murdoch's the Daily?
What do you think of it?
Would you choose to pay for an iPad only paper when
there is so much other free material out there. Do you
think you get something from the Daily that you can't get elsewhere?

Thanks again!

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed that it's easier for me to read most on-line papers (like the NY Times) via Safari than with the iPad app. The app doesn't allow you to change the size of text & it's easier to navigate the webpage than the app.

Speaking of the NYTimes, with their new pay wall, it's cheaper for me to get home delivery of the Sunday edition (and get complete web access) than it is for me to buy the web access.

nehal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lina,
I have just started reading my magazines which I was subscribed to in digital editions, much easier and much faster. As for paying for NEWS which are available free otherwise would be a non starter except its exclusively to that particular site which today is impossible.

Most reactions

Latest posts