What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and laptop question, computer expert help needed (:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do u mean by data? Do u mean like contacts or just files that help the computer remember the iPhone?

Sorry for so many questions :/

Let's say you bought Pages (a word processor designed for the iPad by Apple). If you had created a letter or some other type of document, that would be data for Pages. It would be your work.

Let's say you play games and have saved your progress and would like to restart there when you start up again. Or your email / txt messages or iMessages messages. Basically, anything you create on your iPad/iPhone using the Apps that either come with it or you buy. Those things cannot be recovered unless you back them up. Your apps that you buy, your movies or music, that you bought from iTunes, can all be redownloaded pretty much anytime you like, so you don't have to save that (you might have to save your place in a book though, so be careful there). T

Since I don't really know what you have been doing on your iPad I've been trying ensure that you don't lose anything important. But if you have no real data, or you're confident you can live without any thing you have created, then you can just forget about data. It would mean you'd be starting fresh on your new iTunes.

I'm assuming that you have something you want to protect which is the reason you are transferring your old iTunes over to your new laptop.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's say you bought Pages (a word processor designed for the iPad by Apple). If you had created a letter or some other type of document, that would be data for Pages. It would be your work.

Let's say you play games and have saved your progress and would like to restart there when you start up again. Or your email / txt messages or iMessages messages. Basically, anything you create on your iPad/iPhone using the Apps that either come with it or you buy. Those things cannot be recovered unless you back them up. Your apps that you buy, your movies or music, that you bought from iTunes, can all be redownloaded pretty much anytime you like, so you don't have to save that (you might have to save your place in a book though, so be careful there). T

Since I don't really know what you have been doing on your iPad I've been trying ensure that you don't lose anything important. But if you have no real data, or you're confident you can live without any thing you have created, then you can just forget about data. It would mean you'd be starting fresh on your new iTunes.

I'm assuming that you have something you want to protect which is the reason you are transferring your old iTunes over to your new laptop.

Aww , well I have all my documents backed up, I don't care about messages tbh I'd get over that lol.. I would care about my game process tho and I don't have any books on my devices..

Thank you so much for all your help! I will give this a try next week or the week after and I will report back :) finger crossed all will work out! :/

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys so i thought i would report back and possibly help other people out. I went about doing this a different way and followed this https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141 I didn't have to use the third party programs because i had my old computer of which i done transfer purchases to it and a back-up just in case, I then went on to follow the other steps, I did not do step 2 and my contacts transferred over fine and I also did not need to follow step 9. All the data stayed the same on my phone as it was i did not loss anything, all contacts, messages, apps and game process all fine! When I plug my iPhone into the new computer it does not display the warning message that it will need to erase all my data because it is now connected the new laptop :) everything is great for my phone..

But I tired following the same steps in this link for my iPad but it is not working out so great because once i have restored it and it has restarted it self it displays the annoying warning message that my iPad is synced with another computer and it will erase everything :( maybe there is different steps i need to take for the iPad, would anyone be able to help me with this?

corncob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(dam u apple for only letting our devices be connected to 1 laptop)

And dam u apple for not having a Linux version of iTunes! Actually, I just went into my windows partition which I almost never use. First thing iTunes had me do was download the latest version. It then asked for my apple username and password so that it could register this computer so I could sync my iTunes with all my other computers. It then said that I now have two of my five computers registered. The other registered computer is apparently my wife's -- I did have 3 more although one is turned off and the other 2 were given away although after iTunes had seen them on the network. Anyway, I'm left with the impression that updated iTunes will sync itself among all the registered computers on your network.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the main reasons of iTunes is to manage your idevices, media purchased and of course apps purchased, it does this rather well, and backups / restoration.
Tip: when you setup the new iDevice , it starts a synch and backup then tracks your app updates and device backups.
So migrating to a new computer involves copying the itunes library, and setting up iTunes from scratch, then connecting to the copied old library and then synching the iDevice so the new iTunes and iDevice are happy.

Of course the library needs to be consolidated ( indexed ) prior to the move, so it knows where your apps , media etc are located.
If however you are unable to migrate the library due to computer failure , then essentially you start from scratch with a new iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts