What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini as a productivity "tool"???

islandpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and I would like to ask about your experiences with the iPad mini as a business tool. You see, my current carrier is offering a 64GB iPad mini for my renewal. I own another tablet (he who's brand shall not be mentioned in this forum...) but alas it has outlived its usefulness and is now a legacy model.

What I saw so far with the mini is that it would suit my personal life well as I read a lot, listen to music, play games, visit forums and social sites, watch videos but I haven't heard of or seen friends or other people using it for productivity purposes.

Here is some of the "work things" I do with my current tablet:

1) Plan schedules (calendar is synced to my gmail, and outlook)
2) Emails (2 business and 2 personal )
3) To do lists and tracking of projects
4) View/edit excel sheets and word sheets
5) View/edit/create powerpoint presentations
6) Attach the table to an LCD projector or TV for presentations or just to get a bigger screen while editing or typing
7) Conference calls/ Video conferencing
8) Record meetings (video or voice)

Can it connect to an external USB drive as well? As you can see I have no experience with ipads whatsoever and I would appreciate hearing from those who actually use the mini for work.

I travel a lot and I would like to just carry with me a tablet rather than a laptop and the size of the mini is just right for me. Should I need a bigger screen then I can hook it up to the TV in the hotel room (wired or wireless?)

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

iPar

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
With the right apps/adapters, 1-8 is possible, even easy. I do most of those with my iPad on nearly a daily basis.

External drive - well, yes/no. you can get the camera kit but (without being jailbroken) you can only move photos/videos one way - to the iPad. I have a Seagate Wireless 1TB external drive that I have used very easily to transfer to and from my iPad to the drive. I have used it on one charge for over 6 hours (streaming videos while traveling) and the thing was flawless.

For traveling and movies, I will not go smaller than the regular iPad. I love the bigger screen. If I were you, go into the store and play with both models. There is nothing better than hands on.

Another note for traveling - my travel kit has gotten smaller and smaller as the years go on, and now it is pretty muck my iPad, iPhone, BT Keyboard, power adapter (has 2 USB charging slots) and TwelveSouth Compass iPad stand and wifi drive. The nice thing with the drive, when I shoot photos on the iPhone, I can store them on the wifi drive and edit the full sized photos on the iPad. Using the Photo Stream, the images are down-sized.

Last edited:

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Ipar,

I can't match your exact list but here how I use it (Ipad Mini 32GB Wifi Only):

1. Goto Meeting, WebEx, Skype and Microsoft Lync for conferences.
2. Calendars, shared with boss and few employees.
3. Work emails 1, and personal 5.
4. A lot of notes (I use Notability most) but I also use reminders,notes and tasks. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8
5. Camera connection http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a
6. I have Numbers, Keynote, Pages for presentations, docs etc ... and this Lightning to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) to connect to overhead projector.
7. I use CoPilot when travelling and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Bluetooth-Receiver-Wirelessly-Devices/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381248093&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+xgps+150
. I use Pdf Expert for pdf and annotation. Readdle
9. ScannerPro to scan docs, receipts, cards, and really anything I wish to keep digitally. Readdle0. DropBox for sharing, Also SkyDrive
11. Pocket Money for finance, budget and expenses.
12. Podcasts, and Youtube.
13. Various others not connected to business

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts