What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

BikerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all, cool forum you guys started! :)

I've just gotten myself an iPad 64GB Wifi. I can connect to my wifi connection at home and at work but I still get this message:

"Cannot Open Page: Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet"

My iPhone 3G and computer can connect to these networks just fine. I've tried all the fixes that Apple suggests including changing to a B or G network only, changing the encryption, changing the SSID, updating to the latest router firmware, resetting the network settings on the iPad.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

P.S.
I've imported my iPad and live in Europe so I can't just go to a store and get it replaced.

Tagg67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know someone that has a different kind of router that you can try to connect to? This may help to determine if it's actually the Ipad or the router.... Just a suggestion.

Tagg

OP
B

BikerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried all these things. Even buying a new router (which my iPhone and laptops totally connects to...).

I've also tried connecting to several different "open networks" in cafès and hotels etc. Nothing works.

Is this a firmware error or a hardware issue?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
So you are saying that wifi is turned on, and it says it is connected to your router, yet the browser says it is not on the internet? The only time I have seen that is when my cable modem messes up, but I still connect to the router. Has happened to me in the past before the ipad. For the heck of it reboot the modem. Try touching the little signal indicator in the part that shows you are connected to the router. Strange as it sounds I had to do that the first time I connected, but have not had to do it again in over two weeks. Also uncheck the ask to join networks option.

Just some thoughts....

Last edited:
OP
B

BikerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad will not get an IP-address

Yes, WiFi is turned on. It connects to my network and I get a full signal, but I can't Safari doesn't let me browse anything. The youtube or itunes app doesn't connect either. I've tried with several different networks, I even bought a new router just to see if that made any difference, but it didn't.

I've also tried to reset my ipad's network settings and resetting my routers (I've tried both Netgear and D-link routers). This doesn't help :(

I keep getting this message when I try to browse the Internet using Safari:

"Cannot Open Page: Safari cannot open the page because it is not connectd to the Internet".

It seems like the iPad doesn't get an IP-address from DHCP. I get 169.254.47.236 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which turns out to be what routers give you when DHCP cannot give you a proper IP-address. The subnet mask for my network is 255.255.255.0 which it would be for most home users, so there's deffinitely something fishy going on with the iPad not being able to receive an IP-address.

...before you ask: Yes, I did try with a static IP address.

This totally sucks :(

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible, that you limited the number of DHCP-Clients in your router? Maybe you have limited the number of clients for security reasons.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's your router, when connected it should look like this:

downloadfile-1.png

OP
B

BikerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible, that you limited the number of DHCP-Clients in your router? Maybe you have limited the number of clients for security reasons.

Yeah, but I've limited it to 50 addresses. I also tried resetting my router and not limiting the DHCP scope - still no difference. I only have 3-4 devices on my network.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not his router settings, he's already stated he tried other open WiFi networks and hotspots and resetting his network settings on the iPad also setting static IP. (however was not clear if he used the proper subnet and or separate DNS than his networks default)

There is something else amiss here.

Thomas, try the static again this time use dns from another source like dns 2go, or some similar other than one from Norway.

Last edited:

Most reactions