What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

edge7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of you guys need to lay off on the titanic font sizes that equal 2 posts per page, people.

This thread is for people waiting on their 3G delivery, and sharing updates, amongst one another, REGARDING that delivery / status.

Sweet app tips and 1"-high fonts should go make their own threads. Seriously. Every time I check back to this thread, it's because I want to see peoples updates RE: their 3G iPad delivery status. I'm getting a little sick of all these app "ads".

My 2¢.

Thanks.

Add my 2 cents to ICEPULSE! I totally agree with what he said!

On another topic does anyone know will there be or is there another thread we can go to to get tips and tricks once we have our new toys? I DO NOT mean cool new APPS but real honest to goodness tips and tricks we discover so if others of us have questions we don't have to re-invent the wheel. I've already found a couple from various sites for the WiFi that will apply to the 3G that will save me some time and frustration.

I've gotten some good tips from the following site:
iPad | GilsMethod.com
There is a whole list of "how to". Now I just need the iPad to try some of these out. I understand there isn't really any user guide included with the iPad. How do you figure out all the hand gestures and their functions? This is the first iAnything I've owned.

davere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gotta be honest and vent, and this is the only place where I feel safe doing so.

Come on Apple, do SOMETHING. I don't care what. Charge my card. Change my order to Prepared for Shipment. Ship it. Something!

I'm going crazy not seeing ANY movement on the 3G orders. I know we'll get them on Friday but I feel like a little kid waiting for dad to get off the couch so that we can go play. Just staring, analyzing every move and signal hoping that this is IT.

sickpup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
select what you want and don't want manually BEFORE you sync your iPad.

How do you select what you don't want manually in iTunes?

At the moment, I have 58 apps ready to be downloaded. Only a couple are games, so they are probably pretty small. Can anyone guess how long that will take to sync?

Another question: Which 3G plan are you going to go with first? I'm going to go with the $30 unlimited plan for at least the first month and see how much I use (hopefully I will be able to tell). I was going to go with the $15/256MB plan, but then I re-read the deal. If you are approaching your limit, you have a choice of paying $15 for 256MB or $30 for unlimited, so if I went with the 256MB and used it up, I might use up another 256MB before the end of the month, and have to add more. Did anyone else notice that?

The first time you plug your iPad into your computer it will start iTunes. You will need iTunes 9.1 installed. Once you do the initial sync and have named your iPad it will show up on the left of iTunes. Click on it and you will get tabs and one of them will be apps and list the apps you have ready to sync. They will have boxes next to them that are all checked. Uncheck the apps you do not want to be loaded and then click the sync box at the top and it will start the sync. Your iPad will show it is being synced and show a slider which can cancel the sync , which you do not want to do. It looks just like the unlock slider, so becarefull. The first sync is quick but subsequent syncs also back up your iPad and can take awhile as you get lots of apps. It also depends on the speed of your computer. :)
Your logic is good on the AT&T 3G service. I also plan on going with the unlimited the 1st month and then see how much I need.

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe everyone who has talked to an Apple rep and been assured delivery is Friday. I have my email promise from Apple too. Rationally, I know it will arrive Friday.

BUT.... the order status is the same as it's been since March 12 and still no charge on my cc, so the pessimist in me thinks my iPad is either:

-- right here in town, sitting at FedEx, and Steve Jobs doesn't want to tell me that because then I'll want it delivered before Friday OR
-- still in China, and Steve Jobs doesn't want to tell me that because then I'll know it's going to be late

Will Friday ever get here?????

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In regards to the 3G usage, on my iPhone I've been running <50mb a month as most of my surfing has been on wifi. I figure I'll just go with the limited plan and keep an eye on it. At this point I can't see myself going over it.....but given a new toy all bets are off.:D

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figure to start with the basic plan, but expect that I will wind up with the unlimited at least occassionaly.

icepulse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I doubt I'll even use the 3G right off the bat, honestly. I wanted the GPS. When google releases their free turn-by-turn app, I'll give it a shot, but a lot of what I want it for is all offline activities. Music creation, books and writing, games etc. I'm real excited for some of the full-on music software that's started dropping.

Anyway, 3G is icing, and I'm sure I'll taste it for a month, sometime before the fall.

I'll be using this:

http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/images/uploads/tasdp008.jpg

combined with the music apps to make the first album recorded entirely in a car.
:D

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three more days iPadless. This is complete icrap. I have been driven icrazy. I am still taking my imeds but they are having no effect.

I am making my iwife and ison make me and my ifriend dinner on Friday as we party with Asti and unbox the future.

Peace and a good nights sleep to all my iFriends!

Mr. Late April

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a response from one of our members on the iPad 3G support thread on KindleBoards.com.

"Re: April 30th arrival date for the iPad 3G

I just spoke w/ a representative at Apple (to add the camera kit onto my iPad 3G order).
I expressed concern that my my card hadn't shown a charge on it yet;
she said because it had already been pre-authorized (placed my order 3/23), it wouldn't be charged until the actual ship date (never thought I'd be so anxious to have a charge show up on my card!)

She also said that the pre-ordered 3G iPads are already in the US, so we won't be seeing deliveries from China as the WiFi pre-orders saw;
Apparently, they're in the US, all ready and waiting to ship so that they arrive on the 30th; we shouldn't expect any tracking info till about 2 days or so before the 30th.

When I went to the Apple Store yesterday to look at the iPad (I wasn't going to, because I wanted mine to be the first one I handled, but I couldn't help it, I had to see one) the sales clerk there confirmed that they will be available in the stores on Fri after 5pm."

Makes sense since we see that nothing is moving from China, eh!

All the Best.

edge7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I doubt I'll even use the 3G right off the bat, honestly. I wanted the GPS. When google releases their free turn-by-turn app, I'll give it a shot, but a lot of what I want it for is all offline activities. Music creation, books and writing, games etc. I'm real excited for some of the full-on music software that's started dropping.

Anyway, 3G is icing, and I'm sure I'll taste it for a month, sometime before the fall.

I'll be using this:

combined with the music apps to make the first album recorded entirely in a car.

Is that 8 track in the palm of your hand? Cool, I had an old 4 track Tascam recorded to cassettes many moons ago. You may want to check out Ben Vaughn's "Rambler '65" recorded in a car. But on topic, what music software specifically is good for the iPad? :)

iPadManiac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe everyone who has talked to an Apple rep and been assured delivery is Friday. I have my email promise from Apple too. Rationally, I know it will arrive Friday.

BUT.... the order status is the same as it's been since March 12 and still no charge on my cc, so the pessimist in me thinks my iPad is either:

-- right here in town, sitting at FedEx, and Steve Jobs doesn't want to tell me that because then I'll want it delivered before Friday OR
-- still in China, and Steve Jobs doesn't want to tell me that because then I'll know it's going to be late

Will Friday ever get here?????

I'm in the same boat. No charge on CC. Still says it will ship in "late April."

I couldn't take it any longer today so I called. :D The rep I talked to said, "Apparently you didn't see the press release that says they will ship on Friday." I said, "uh, well, I was just concerned because I hadn't seen any activity."

She assured me that they had full authorization for the charge and it would be here Friday. :D

And now I'm going to relax. :D

icepulse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a response from one of our members on the iPad 3G support thread on KindleBoards.com.

"Re: April 30th arrival date for the iPad 3G

I just spoke w/ a representative at Apple (to add the camera kit onto my iPad 3G order).
I expressed concern that my my card hadn't shown a charge on it yet;
she said because it had already been pre-authorized (placed my order 3/23), it wouldn't be charged until the actual ship date (never thought I'd be so anxious to have a charge show up on my card!)

She also said that the pre-ordered 3G iPads are already in the US, so we won't be seeing deliveries from China as the WiFi pre-orders saw;
Apparently, they're in the US, all ready and waiting to ship so that they arrive on the 30th; we shouldn't expect any tracking info till about 2 days or so before the 30th.

When I went to the Apple Store yesterday to look at the iPad (I wasn't going to, because I wanted mine to be the first one I handled, but I couldn't help it, I had to see one) the sales clerk there confirmed that they will be available in the stores on Fri after 5pm."

Makes sense since we see that nothing is moving from China, eh!

All the Best.

I'll be using this:

Is that 8 track in the palm of your hand? Cool, I had an old 4 track Tascam recorded to cassettes many moons ago. You may want to check out Ben Vaughn's "Rambler '65" recorded in a car. But on topic, what music software specifically is good for the iPad? :)

OK, then; the first GOOD album recorded in a car! ;)

I don't have the ipad yet, so I can't vouch for any particular app, but Korg's "Electribe" looks amazing, and one called "iSequence" is due in May, that looks extremely deep.

I hear that a lot of audio software companies are eager to hop on board w/ the iPad. I guess they take it more seriously than they do the iPhone. Meanwhile, there are scads of kick ass iPhone apps that might suffer graphically, but will still be nicer to use, based on the screen real estate alone. Beatmaker, iShred and BeBot come to mind. Plus, Intua (beatmaker) says that they've got something really big planned, and if you've tried Beatmaker, you know that it's the premier music creation app on the iPhone. They ALWAYS keep the updates coming w/ new functionality.

Yes, it's going to be a great time for bedroom studio artists.

Orcapal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we are irritated knowing that the iPads are here in the US and that there is no good reason for Apple to not simply deliver them. At least I know that I am irritated.

There was a similar issue with the Apple II GS that caused me to swear off Apple products for a decade. :mad:

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first time you plug your iPad into your computer it will start iTunes. You will need iTunes 9.1 installed. Once you do the initial sync and have named your iPad it will show up on the left of iTunes. Click on it and you will get tabs and one of them will be apps and list the apps you have ready to sync. They will have boxes next to them that are all checked. Uncheck the apps you do not want to be loaded and then click the sync box at the top and it will start the sync. Your iPad will show it is being synced and show a slider which can cancel the sync , which you do not want to do. It looks just like the unlock slider, so becarefull. The first sync is quick but subsequent syncs also back up your iPad and can take awhile as you get lots of apps. It also depends on the speed of your computer. :)

Thanks Sickpup!

icepulse

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh, and by the way... Yes, it's a Tascam 8-track that's about the size of a paperback. I've read some good reviews. I also had a Tascam Portastudio (720?) back in the early 90's. The reviews for this one say that Tascam kept the basic layout the same on this one (DP-008), so users of older Tascam multitracks should feel just like they're working W/ their old Portastudio. Good enough for me! I LOVED that thing.

I grabbed one one eBay in anticipation of Friday's 3G release. I'll have it on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts