What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, Am new to this thread but thought I'd throw out my 2 cents worth to give you something else to chew on while you wait. With so many pages to read I admit I have not read them all and what I'm about to bring up may have been hashed out long ago and I didn't see it so if that is the case I'm sorry in advance.

Being a former employee I am aware of the multitude of hoops that must be jumped through before the gov will give their blessings to regulated items. I remember something I read a while back that Apple was in the process of getting the 3G technology certified for the IPad with whatever agency it is. I think it's the FCC but may be wrong. Even though 3G is allowed in the Iphone the gov usually requires new certifications for each and every different device, easier to get perhaps but none the less required. Anyway I'm guessing that a part of Apple's silence with all this might be due in part to them not having the governments "official" blessing yet or if they have it maybe it took a lot longer than originally thought to get. It might even be possible that they did not pass the process and they are or were in a technical frenzy trying to fix and or do whatever may be necessary to get them passed. This also might explain the international delay as well. I think it's Israel that is prohibiting IPad's for what they are calling WiFi issues but in reality it could be a similar type thing. Some of the standards in those countries are for sure different and maybe more strict than ours here in the US. Then again it may be none of this and Apple is just playing games and may be doing the things you all have been guessing about.

Anyway you remember the things you want most are the things you cannot have and this just makes them more and more desirable. In the end we will all have them soon and then in a couple of weeks we will ask what was all the fuss about as we happily go about our way until it's time for OS4 then it will start all over again.

Lucky for me living where I do I can go skiing, or fishing or even play some golf to help distract me while I wait. So now I think I'll go wet a line and catch me a fish or two.

AppleADay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys,

We are all in the verge of a nervous breakdown with his waiting...

The facts are still there:

1.- Tomorrow we will be in the last third of April.
2.- Apple has a 2Q conference call on 04/20.
3.- There ARE people experiencing charges in their CC.

If you ask me, this coming week we should receive our toys and we can stop drooling by watching other people with their WiFi iPads, or entertaining the idea of breaking our resolve and going with a non-3G iPad.

Hang in there... We're less than a week away. I know.

And.... If they don't ship the freaking iPad this week, they might as well ship it in May, because I'm leaving on the 26th and won't be back until early May.
Jamstefan
I feel your frustration. If it is shipped after you leave, you might be able to drop by a local Apple Store or Best Buy to pick up one and return one of the iPads once you return home. This of course is assuming that they will have some available and the lines will not be out of the door. Oh yeah, I forgot about the restocking fee. If you can get that waived then possibly.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I could scope out on the net it looks like Apple turned the 3G's in to the FCC on March 12th to begin the approval process. While it tool 70 days for the iphone to be approved speculation is also that the process for the iPad went much quicker and has already been approved. I know there's some FCC teardown photos published on a couple of sites as well as a bunch of docs that appear to be encrypted for secrecy. There are also 3 documents dated April 8th and one dated April 2hd which could be the final approval documents - including an SAR report and a Final Manual. Here's a link to that site: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=258686&fcc_id='BCG-E2381A'

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, Am new to this thread but thought I'd throw out my 2 cents worth to give you something else to chew on while you wait. With so many pages to read I admit I have not read them all and what I'm about to bring up may have been hashed out long ago and I didn't see it so if that is the case I'm sorry in advance.

Being a former employee I am aware of the multitude of hoops that must be jumped through before the gov will give their blessings to regulated items. I remember something I read a while back that Apple was in the process of getting the 3G technology certified for the IPad with whatever agency it is. I think it's the FCC but may be wrong. Even though 3G is allowed in the Iphone the gov usually requires new certifications for each and every different device, easier to get perhaps but none the less required. Anyway I'm guessing that a part of Apple's silence with all this might be due in part to them not having the governments "official" blessing yet or if they have it maybe it took a lot longer than originally thought to get. It might even be possible that they did not pass the process and they are or were in a technical frenzy trying to fix and or do whatever may be necessary to get them passed. This also might explain the international delay as well. I think it's Israel that is prohibiting IPad's for what they are calling WiFi issues but in reality it could be a similar type thing. Some of the standards in those countries are for sure different and maybe more strict than ours here in the US. Then again it may be none of this and Apple is just playing games and may be doing the things you all have been guessing about.

Anyway you remember the things you want most are the things you cannot have and this just makes them more and more desirable. In the end we will all have them soon and then in a couple of weeks we will ask what was all the fuss about as we happily go about our way until it's time for OS4 then it will start all over again.

Lucky for me living where I do I can go skiing, or fishing or even play some golf to help distract me while I wait. So now I think I'll go wet a line and catch me a fish or two.

Welcome to the forum Fisherman. That's some sound logical thinking on your part. I believe the FCC did already approve the 3G or at least I think I read it somewhere. Other than that I think apple is just trying to squeeze those last desperate purchases of the wifi from people who just can't wait any longer. Truth is they have said from launch that "Late April" was their target and they haven't lied yet. They gave themselves plenty of wiggle room and with the new priority shipping upgrade they can take almost to the end of the wire. The anticipation is getting unbearable but I guess that's what every company wants to create for their product. The extra time also gives them a chance to create more inventory because if the 3G does really work well with the data plan, I think it may outsell the wifi.

Last edited:

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys,

We are all in the verge of a nervous breakdown with his waiting...

The facts are still there:

1.- Tomorrow we will be in the last third of April.
2.- Apple has a 2Q conference call on 04/20.
3.- There ARE people experiencing charges in their CC.

If you ask me, this coming week we should receive our toys and we can stop drooling by watching other people with their WiFi iPads, or entertaining the idea of breaking our resolve and going with a non-3G iPad.

Hang in there... We're less than a week away. I know.

And.... If they don't ship the freaking iPad this week, they might as well ship it in May, because I'm leaving on the 26th and won't be back until early May.
Jamstefan
I feel your frustration. If it is shipped after you leave, you might be able to drop by a local Apple Store or Best Buy to pick up one and return one of the iPads once you return home. This of course is assuming that they will have some available and the lines will not be out of the door. Oh yeah, I forgot about the restocking fee. If you can get that waived then possibly.

That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, there are no Apple stores in Bali.

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum Fisherman. That's some sound logical thinking on your part. I believe the FCC did already approve the 3G or at least I think I read it somewhere. Other than that I think apple is just trying to squeeze those last desperate purchases of the wifi from people who just can't wait any longer. Truth is they have said from launch that "Late April" was their target and they haven't lied yet. They gave themselves plenty of wiggle room and with the new priority shipping upgrade they can take almost to the end of the wire. The anticipation is getting unbearable but I guess that's what every company wants to create for their product. The extra time also gives them a chance to create more inventory because if the 3G does really work well with the data plan, I think it may outsell the wifi.

Fisherman, the 3G version has been approved by the FCC within the time frame alloted for it.

Edlex, you're 100% right in your estimation. Several polls and studies show the purchase intent higher on both ends of the product line (16GB WiFi and 64GB WiFi+3G). The 3G version will outsell the WiFi considerably.

AppleADay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if BB will be selling the 3g version?

I was informed by one of the employees (the one who is over the Apple Display Table) at the Best Buy Store that they will sell the 3G version as well.
Hmmm....but as I think about it, the last time I was there, I only saw pricing for the wifi only. Prior to this time, I saw prices listed for both wifi & wifi+3G. I personally have not seen it publically announced any place.
But I certainly hope and believe they will sell them.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fisherman, welcome to the group! Your absolutely right, find something else to do instead of waiting for your iPad to come.

Personally, I am looking forward to a huge paintball game next Saturday. Nothing like get together with a few thousand people, stalk them through the woods and shoot them to get the old aggression out :D

I also agree with 4phun about using Google Reader and watching for free iPad apps. I already have a bunch downloaded onto my computer and ready to upload when I get my iPad.

The only accessory that I have purchased is a cheap case. I am waiting until I get the iPad before I buy anything else.

I am also forcing myself to ignore the cc charges and other rumors, and focus on the ship date of April 30th, which is only 12 days away. It's too much of an emotional roller coaster to believe a rumor and then have it dashed. There are several websites around with things like iPad 3G Release Date text on them, just waiting for people to do a search and find them. They get the advertising revenue and we get stuck chasing wild rumors.

raylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I was in BB a few minutes ago and ask the salesman when they would have the 3G model. He said they had been told that they expect to have 3G's by the end of the month.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I was in BB a few minutes ago and ask the salesman when they would have the 3G model. He said they had been told that they expect to have 3G's by the end of the month.

Hmmmm... That's interesting.... If BB will have them before the end of the month, WE should also have ours :D

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazing Roguelike iPhone Game “Sword of Fargoal†Free Today Only!

Amazing Roguelike iPhone Game “Sword of Fargoal” Free Today Only!

3:13 am, April 18th, 2010, John Brownlee

Looking for something to play this weekend? The amazing rogue-like RPG, Sword of Fargoal for the iPhone and iPod Touch is free to download for today only. I bought it for $4.99 a month ago, and it was worth every penny.
Fargoal going free is serendipitous, since this is an especially good time to grab the game: a new patch adding a chunk of new content is imminent, and the developers have been firmly committed to not just expanding the existing game, but evolving it in fresh new ways as well.

We’ve reviewed Sword of Fargoal before. Here’s what we said.
Like all roguelikes, Sword of Fargoal seems to palpably twitch with a desire to kill you in the cruelest and most random way possible. A typical adventure might see you randomly open a chest to get blinded, only to stumble away and plummet through a hole in the floor to land in the darkest levels of the dungeons below, surrounded by monsters you are incapable to beat. Once you’re dead, you have to start all over again from level one. This is the roguelike’s appeal: they are for the sadomasochist gamer.
Sword of Fargoal is a far lighter roguelike than games like Nethack, but that’s why it works so well on the iPhone: where as in a typical game of Nethack you have to wrestle with hundreds of arcane text commands like dip, rub, or engrave, Fargoal is all about killing monsters, quaffing potions, zapping wands and reading scrolls. There’s a limited number of things to do, and the developers have perfectly adapted the game’s controls to the iPhone: in fact, most commands are automatically performed situationally (e.g. if you find an “Enchant Weapon” scroll, your weapon is blessed automatically without having to read it)
The graphics and synthesized retro sounds can’t be overlooked either: Sword of Fargoal is a truly gorgeous game, and simply the best looking roguelike I’ve ever played.
If you’ve ever journeyed through Nethack’s Dungeon of Doom, or even loaded up a game of Diablo, you owe yourself giving this game a try.
Grab Sword of Fargoal for free here. You won’t regret it.

See if that cheers you up while waiting for the 3G iPad.

mzl.mstbdjud.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.kqsqfevs.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.aarokfko.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.mstbdjud.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.hpfzevxb.320x480-75.jpg

The iTunes web page says this version is iPad compatible so go for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts