What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The inspiration came to me as I finished reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock would take the facts and then imagine how they might come together. If any facts didn't fit, he would throw out the theory, but if they all fit, and no other explanations could be devised, then what was left, however improbable, must be the answer. I guess there are other explanations in this case, but none that appeal to me more then this one.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3. Apple intends to announce the release date at an upcoming event to make it another high-publicity moment.
4. That moment will be on Tuesday when the 1st quarter results are discussed. The ipad launch is of course in the 2nd quarter, but updates on its success are very relevant to investors and a lot of people will be listening in on this event.
:ipad-keyboard:

I'll be listening....Apple will make the announcement after the market closes Tuesday....tune in at 4:30 EDT.

AppleADay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3. Apple intends to announce the release date at an upcoming event to make it another high-publicity moment.
4. That moment will be on Tuesday when the 1st quarter results are discussed. The ipad launch is of course in the 2nd quarter, but updates on its success are very relevant to investors and a lot of people will be listening in on this event.

I'll be listening....Apple will make the announcement after the market closes Tuesday....tune in at 4:30 EDT.

Yet Another Perspective (Opinion) on the release date......
Hurry Up and Get Here Already!

iPad 3G Release Date No Later Than May 3rd

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
....I definitely have to stay away from the iPad accessories....I have over 30 apps, 3 covers with 1 on the way that takes 35 days to make because some other wonderful ipad watcher on here mentioned the site and even provided the link and low and behold I bought a hand stitched leather case for this ipad that is not even here yet!!!!!

I think you will love the Vaja case and will thank me for posting their site in the end :). I have loved their cases in the past!

vaja-cases-home.jpg

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my theory. -- and by the way, hello everyone, long-time viewer, first-time poster -- The release date will be on the 24th. Here is my rationale:

1. The original release date was on a Saturday, and this is the last Saturday in April.
2. For an unexplained reason, all our shipping methods were moved to priority, which costs Apple money (so why did they do this?)
5. However if everyone's shipment remained standard, and the intent was to deliver the product to homes on the day of the 3G release, then we'd see the charges hit our credit cards by now.
6. Apple wants some bang to this announcement, and doesn't want to tip anyone that this will come out on Tuesday. After all, everyone will be listening to this call anyway, there's no reason to create additional buzz around this.
7. That explains why all our shipment dates were moved to priority, to keep the announcement a secret, but still allow us to receive our ipads on the launch day.
8. Which will be April 24th, consistent with the late April shipping date and consistent with the nature of the first launch.

How's that for a conspiracy theory!

I second your rationale! (Actually, I posted the same rationale yesterday ;))

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I returned the WiFi iPad I bought on launch day today. It hurt but it had to be done. I went in telling myself that I might end up wanting to keep it but in my heart I knew I needed the 3G. I have to tell you all that after two weeks with the WiFi iPad two things are very clear:

1) The iPad is awesome!

2) I have no doubt that waiting for 3G is the right choice.

I will not rub in how wonderful the iPad is since everyone pretty much knows and it really does not matter until we all get our 3Gs. What I do want to reassure everyone about is how smart you are to be waiting for 3G. There were numerous times over the last two weeks that I really wish I had a connection but there was no WiFi around. I just got back from staying overnight in a hotel in Cape May NJ and even though they had WiFi, the signal was crap. From past experience with my laptop that has WiFi and a built in Verizon air card, using WiFi at hotels is hit or miss. You have to get a room close enough to an access point and they often don’t have enough for good coverage. The other thing is the whole log on to the network via a web page thing that you have to do. I’m convinced that this method of protecting networks is a performance killer. I almost never have a good experience with it. With my laptop I either use hard wired or my air card. I don’t bother with WiFi at hotels at all. That is what put me on the 3G list in the first place. Another time I wished I had 3G was when I was at my parents’ house where they don’t have WiFi (believe it or not, there are lots of people without WiFi in their home). I felt like I could only show them a small subset of what is cool about the iPad. I got into We Rule – a farmville like game where you plant crops and then check in later to harvest and use the money you earn to build a cool city. It can be pretty habit forming and the twitch to make sure my crops don’t rot helped me judge the discomfort of being off line.

Sorry for the long rambling post but I wanted to share with everyone that the wait for 3G will be worth it!! Also, I am back in therapy with a “Paradise Lost” twist…

-Greg

Last edited:

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
....I definitely have to stay away from the iPad accessories....I have over 30 apps, 3 covers with 1 on the way that takes 35 days to make because some other wonderful ipad watcher on here mentioned the site and even provided the link and low and behold I bought a hand stitched leather case for this ipad that is not even here yet!!!!!

I think you will love the Vaja case and will thank me for posting their site in the end :). I have loved their cases in the past!

vaja-cases-home.jpg

Greg G...yes I know I will love it! I couldn't resist. I figured if I purchased a $150 custom wood case from Switzerland for my iPhone 3GS when I was waiting on it, why not splurge and make my iPad 64G "comfortable and stylish"! Thanks for the tip.....feel free to post more!

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my theory. -- and by the way, hello everyone, long-time viewer, first-time poster -- The release date will be on the 24th. Here is my rationale:

1. The original release date was on a Saturday, and this is the last Saturday in April.
2. For an unexplained reason, all our shipping methods were moved to priority, which costs Apple money (so why did they do this?)
5. However if everyone's shipment remained standard, and the intent was to deliver the product to homes on the day of the 3G release, then we'd see the charges hit our credit cards by now.
6. Apple wants some bang to this announcement, and doesn't want to tip anyone that this will come out on Tuesday. After all, everyone will be listening to this call anyway, there's no reason to create additional buzz around this.
7. That explains why all our shipment dates were moved to priority, to keep the announcement a secret, but still allow us to receive our ipads on the launch day.
8. Which will be April 24th, consistent with the late April shipping date and consistent with the nature of the first launch.

How's that for a conspiracy theory!

Mossman....I totally agree with you on this theory. I actually heard the 3G would ship on April 24th when I pre-ordered mine (precisely at 5:30am CA time on March 12th). For some crazy reason I have tricked myself into thinking that it would be earlier anyway I will be standing in my driveway at 6am Saturday morning waiting for the Orange Man (Fed Ex) or the Brown Man (UPS)......personally I hope its Orange...they get here earlier!

lv2rad8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel that I'm in great company. Will anyone purchase the Invisible Shield for their iPad? Is it worth paying $40 bucks for?
I have the Zagg sitting on my desk waiting for the 64 3g.... have had Zagg for my Bold and it is wonderful.... very easy to put on. Waste 4-5 anti glare screen protectors for my iphone before i get one without a dust bubble and actually on straight.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel that I'm in great company. Will anyone purchase the Invisible Shield for their iPad? Is it worth paying $40 bucks for?
I have the Zagg sitting on my desk waiting for the 64 3g.... have had Zagg for my Bold and it is wonderful.... very easy to put on. Waste 4-5 anti glare screen protectors for my iphone before i get one without a dust bubble and actually on straight.

Agree on the Zagg. I have one on my Storm 2 and it is great. I plan to let the guy at the Zagg kiosk in the mall install mine :)

-Greg

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though I have a large balance this month on the Visa card and the cycle ends on the 23rd I will gladly take the charge this month if it ships for Saturday delivery

Last edited:

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not I...and the reason is that from my experience with Invisible Shield it is definitely not worth the painstaking time and frustration you go through when applying one. I use Power Support (Crystal Film) for my iPhone and I already saw that they will be making a protective cover for the iPad so I will be using theirs.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not I...and the reason is that from my experience with Invisible Shield it is definitely not worth the painstaking time and frustration you go through when applying one. I use Power Support (Crystal Film) for my iPhone and I already saw that they will be making a protective cover for the iPad so I will be using theirs.

The install frustration is why I will pay an extra $5 or whatever to the guy in the mall to do it for me :). When he did my Storm he messed up one protector in the process but it came out perfect.

IEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody knows...I preordered and did not pay for shipping as it was free. My order reads it will be "priority", yet the Apple store says free shipping is standard shipping, many business days. Those of you that have preordered, did you request quicker shipping? I can't get an answer until Monday from the Apple Store. Thanks....

I don't know about anyone else, but when I ordered my WiFi, I did not have a choice of shipping. And Yes, shipping is free.

Now that I have ordered my 3g, I still did not get a choice of shipping. I would have gladly paid extra for faster shipping.

IEwok (formerly DanaNgidhu)

Own 16 gb WiFi
Waiting for 32 gb 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts