What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Cases ???

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jturner3988 said:
I purchased the new otter box case for my new iPad. It is a excellent case and offers extreme protection. One of the draw backs is the amount of bulk it adds but if that doesn't bother you and you want the best protection then get the otter box. One other issue that I noticed is that for some reason the cover is suppose to lock and unlock the iPad it doesn't work.

The reason the OtterBox magnet doesn't work is because Apple on the iPad 3 made the magnet unlock switch polarity sensitive. Apple didn't tell the manufacturers of aftermarket cases this. So, since they randomly placed the magnets in them you have a 50-50 chance that they installed it with the polarity correct. If you can gain access to the compartment that houses the magnet on the OtterBox and you flip the magnet around, it should work. Either that or take it back and get a new one under replacement warranty and get one of the 50% that do work.

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the 360 cases design, but do they make one that will snap in place to make it not swivel or stay in one orientation. The 360 is great when it sits on a desk....but when I am holding it in my hand it flops all around.

mandytan1211

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.wholesaleipadaccessories.com
hi,guys,how about this one,it`s special for ipad3
ID3-203-14.jpg

Abbas82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like alot of these cases have issues, I want something lightweight, does protect front and back, and does have a typing and viewing position....does anyone have any recommendations? I'm starting to get tempted to get a back and a smart cover, as expensive as that seems...

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Abbas82 said:
It seems like alot of these cases have issues, I want something lightweight, does protect front and back, and does have a typing and viewing position....does anyone have any recommendations? I'm starting to get tempted to get a back and a smart cover, as expensive as that seems...

See my post above regarding the CIMO thin TPU case. Inexpensive but effective, looks good and works very well in conjunction with the Smart Cover. Good combo that provides protection without adding weight or bulk. Both of my iPads have them.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ianholmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See my post above regarding the CIMO thin TPU case. Inexpensive but effective, looks good and works very well in conjunction with the Smart Cover. Good combo that provides protection without adding weight or bulk. Both of my iPads have them.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Thanks for the info about this case. I think it's exactly what I'm looking for

Ian

huayangnianhua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it depends on your personal preference, there are too many cases to choose from, do your have any ideal on that already? what material? what color? what brand? or what styles? most of my friend use leather cases or keyboard cases... and i bought an iPad 3 keyboard case for my new device too.

iJD3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been into many main stream shops looking for a decent modern and Protective case to no avail yet. Although I did have this kind of problem when searching for a case/skin for my xbox 360slim. I ended up buying from slick skins.com if I remember right. There's a huge range at decent prices compared to main stream shops that are charging upto £60 for a shabby looking screen cover or a old school leather case. I'd try slick skins if I was anyone looking for a decent case :)

Abbas82

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for the info on that as well! I think it sounds like a good idea...I might consider getting a BodyGuardz Carbon Fiber Skin rather than the CIMO slim TPU...still trying to make up my mind. I couldnt find any slickskins.com, but I did find slick wraps.com, which have a nice looking gun metal skin (and other colors) but slighly more expensive at ~$30 for a skin...I do like the appearance of the GumDrop Drop Tech, while it is safe, it is not very versatile when typing/viewing.

Abbas82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came across this...has anyone tried a ZooGue Genius? Kind of like the multiple angles...you dont have to stick to certain positions

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:
Anyone with experience on the new Otterbox Defender for the iPad 3? Seems they've really improved on the design, but still pretty pricey.

I just bought the OBD for iPad 3 and it's the best of all their previous iPad defender cases, it's actually a little slimmer. Feels a lot nicer too. I like that the rubber grip layer stays on nice and tight, the entire case fits perfectly. Yes it's pricey at $100 a pop, but it protects the iPad extremely well.

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend the Belkin Snap shield, that's what I'm using. It's very thin, soft touch acrylic snap case. It adds a lot of grip and is smart-cover compatible. Here's some pic's:

Attachments

• image-214204524.jpg
    image-214204524.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,040
  • image-1495686871.jpg
    image-1495686871.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 989
  • image-1255545061.jpg
    image-1255545061.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 615

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PaulCarleton said:
The reason the OtterBox magnet doesn't work is because Apple on the iPad 3 made the magnet unlock switch polarity sensitive. Apple didn't tell the manufacturers of aftermarket cases this. So, since they randomly placed the magnets in them you have a 50-50 chance that they installed it with the polarity correct. If you can gain access to the compartment that houses the magnet on the OtterBox and you flip the magnet around, it should work. Either that or take it back and get a new one under replacement warranty and get one of the 50% that do work.

My OBD's magnetic feature actually does work. I found the it has to be put on a certain way. It works when the snap on case is snapped on with the "Otterbox" on top end -in portrait mode, (looks upside down), where the front facing camera is. If you snap it on with the "Otterbox" on the bottom end - where the home button is, it doesn't shut it off. I tested it several times and it always shut the screen off when the "Otterbox" was on the top end of the screen.

Most reactions