What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 and 4G signal

Smooth65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I've owned my iPad 3 for several months now. Does it have the capability of picking up a 3G signal? No matter where I go, I see either 4G or edge signal on my iPad. I live in the country where there is no 4G but it says 4G. Could this be a defect? Thanks in advance!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must have an AT&T iPad.

AT&T rebranded its HSPA+ service as 4G. Other providers started calling HSPA+ a 4G service long before AT&T changed it's marketing. I guess they got tired of sound slower than they were. HSPA+ really is (potentially) faster than older 3G networks (CDMA and HSPA), but nowhere near as fast as the newer 4G/LTE services.

When you have the newer faster 4G/LTE connection the iPad will say LTE instead of 4G.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet is right. I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, which is a 3G phone, and it started saying 4G months ago, even though the phone isn't really 4G capable, lol. It was because AT&T got Apple to agree to relabeling what's HSPA+ as 4G.

Most reactions

Latest posts