What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 .pps files, no audio

dinovelvet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, Ipad 2 no0b here. I receive many emails that have .pps files attached and they play fine on my PC or laptop. However now that I have my Ipad 2 receiving the emails, the powerpoint slides have no audio on them when I view them on the Ipad 2.

I have forwarded a couple of the emails with pps attachments from the Ipad 2 to my PC and the audio plays fine. Yes I have the volume on on the Ipad 2.

Is there a setting I am missing? Is there an easy fix?

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What app are you using to process the .ppt files? The iPad's native Mail app can display them but that's all. If you want to play the audio too you'll need a dedicated app, such as Apple's Keynote, that can process PowerPoint files.

Tim

OP
D

dinovelvet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was trying to use the native mail app, I am used to PC's, this Ipad is mt first foray into an Apple product in many years. I have been googling this Powerpoint issue and see many others have had this issue before. I have read about Keynote, with some people saying it will play the audio in a .pps file while others saying it will not, this is from a different forum.

I don't mind too much paying the $9.99 download if Keynote will work for what I need, but it would frustrated me to pay for it and it doesn't play the audio in these Powerpoint files I receive from overseas friends. I've also read suggestions about Mighty Meeting. I am still reading up on the issues of Powerpoint on a Mac.

I would like to be able to doubleclick on the .pps attachments on the email and the video & audio play seemlessly. Would Keynote do that or would I have to drag and drop and open other programs? I need to keep it as simple as possible without too many hoops to jump through.

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have Keynote then, when you click on the Mail attachment (no double-clicks, this is the Apple world!) you'll be offered the 'Open In' menu and you can choose Keynote. However, Keynote will only play audio on .ppt and .pptx files where the audio is embedded rather than linked. On a PC it's not necessary to embed the audio into the .ppt file, PowerPoint can locate a separate audio file if it's linked from the presentation. That can't be done on the iPad; the audio needs to be embedded.

If you purchase the app and it doesn't work, you can easily get a refund; call the toll-free Apple Support line with the transaction reference number and they'll refund the cost as a credit to your iTunes account.

Tim

OP
D

dinovelvet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Tried that and the pps doesn't play audio still in Keynote. Its a shame though, I wanted to be able yo use the Ipad for viewing these emails. Guess its going back to Apple.

peranoia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI

i'm in the same situation as dinovelvet. I got Keynote, and i still cannot listen to music when i import pps files. It's very strange because the same file, i open it in powerpoint in my mac and it works fine. So what's the problem? Can i do something on my mac to get this pps file to work with music on my iPad keynote?

thank you

EDIT: One more question. Does anybody know if i try to open this pps file on a mac's keynote, will this pps file be played with music? I haven't got keynote on the mac, and before purchasing it, i would like to know this.
Thank you again

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts